CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Britishisms are BACK!

I have to say, there are some things that I really miss about living in England. While I was happy to come back to my home in the United States, my year and a half mission there was really fabulous. In fact, I think we should incorporate some Britishisms into American English just to keep me happy. Here are a few suggestions:

Aren't you tired of always using "really"? Well, in England you have a veritable cornucopia of choices, especially if you don't mind being a little, well, common. For example, you can say, "Oh,
that is dead funny." See, don't you love how "dead" can also mean "really"? Or, you might say, "That was well bad, mate." Meaning, "That was really awful." Isn't that a nice choice to be able to make? Now, I'm not saying there aren't consequences for speaking this way. As a general rule, people will assume you are a teenager from a bad part of town, but still. It's all about choices!

I really love graffiti in England. From now on, when I go tagging, I'm only going to write the following: Heidi woz 'ere! '07 See the poetry there? Because you can really hear how I would say that, can't you? I suppose if I were really a die hard, I would write/spray/tag: 'Eidi woz 'ere. I'm no die hard, though.

The "ou" combination really does look nicer. For example, you can go look at the autumn leaves changing colors, or you can look at them changing colours. Isn't that nicer? More poetic?

Another thing I really miss is the British attitude toward "swears". I really loved the freedom of being able to say "hell" and "damn" without the stigma of being a curser (I believe I just made up that word). I have to admit, I still say them, despite having been out of England for over ten years. Although, on the downside, you can't say "fanny" without really raising a few eyebrows (you don't want to know, I promise. . .)

One of my favorite things that English newspapers do is nickname people. An easy way to do this: take the first letter of the subject's first name, and simply add "AZZA"--therefore, Gary Lineker (a footy player--come on people, there are more footy players than just David Beckham, although he is the best-looking, by far) was called Gazza. Isn't that charming? I used to use this technique all the time--my friend Barry (I know, what were his parents thinking, anyway?) easily became Bazza, my friend Sharon answered perfectly to Shazza. It's genius!

Well, it's better than the nicknames Rhett and I give to perfect strangers, anyway . . .

5 comments:

Leisha said...

Love it...Leisha woz 'ere!

Jen said...

I am a great advocate of a good nick name. In college I dated Mike the math lab stalker, Dave the Tickler, Prince Charming Patrick, Dating Attention Deficit Dan, and had Tall Paul and Popular Paul for friends.

And I thinke we should definitely incorporate as many Britishisms as possible to our everydaye life.

April said...

I love giving nicknames to people, though I've slacked off lately. It's mostly been Jerkface. I don't think adding AZZA to my name would work, unfortunately. But I am going to start substituting "dead" for "really."

Sibri said...

What a lod of old bollocks!

hehehe, not many reading this will have a clue what I'm going on about!!!

Yep, the freedom!

Janene said...

Nice--I like how my nickname does not include AZZA but is more closely tied to fanny. Thanks Heidi.