CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 9, 2007

Fire!


I used to be a really great sleeper. You know, before I had kids and had to sleep lightly so that I could hear my kids if they woke up. When I was a teenager, I could take naps like nobody's business.

So one afternoon, I took my nap on my parents' waterbed (remember those?) as usual. I slept peacefully, and woke up fully refreshed.

I felt much less refreshed when I discovered the following:

While I was sleeping, the fire alarm had gone off. This wasn't one of those wussy fire alarms that just beeps--this was a fire alarm that was set up with my parents' alarm system, and so when it sensed smoke or carbon monoxide or whatever, an EXTREMELY LOUD man's voice would come out of the speaker and YELL "FIRE! PLEASE EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY! HELP IS ON THE WAY!" It would do this over and over and over and over. It was so loud, you wanted to cover your ears, no matter where you were in the house.

When this occurred, all my younger siblings (Dan, Josh, Linz, and Bucky) evacuated (if only to escape the yelling fire alarm man) to the trampoline in our backyard, which was our designated "meeting spot" should any of us ever survive a natural disaster. While they were merrily evacuated on the trampoline, I continued to sleep.

It turned out to be a false alarm, but I still can't believe that everyone evacuated without me. Even fifteen years later, I'm still surprised by my siblings' treachery--I COULD HAVE BURNED! (oh, okay, I'm not surprised at all--they are totally like that!) Let me just remind you, I COULD HAVE BURNED!

We're a very close family.

4 comments:

Amy said...

my size 8 body:) isn't that enough to miss.

by the way why don't we ever outlast our husband in that silent abttle of who will get up? I tried for years to win and no such luck. They must have special practices we don't know about.

Texas Mommy said...

So I would probably have freaked out when I heard the alarm and ran into the wall on my way out of the house cause I would have been so scared! I am amazed you could sleep right through it!

Leisha said...

Oh, I'm sure if it were a real fire they probably would have felt bad!?

Dan said...

Even if we were to remember, it was impossible to wake you anyways...so burn burn burn.