CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Social Services

My oldest brother and his wife (bless her, she's so much more patient than I would ever be!) homeschool their children. She's really good at it, and has taught her children to be self-educators and to thirst for knowledge. I admire her dedication while firmly believing that I would go absolutely stark, raving mad if I tried to homeschool my children myself.

I recall one vacation that we all spent together, my brother Josh (who has no children of his own) kindly offered to take on the task of teaching my two nephews some social skills (this being a common complaint that is offered up against homeschooling). Alas, there must have been a communication breakdown, because I think what he was teaching wasn't quite what my sister-in-law had in mind.

Josh decided to teach the boys all the fun things that they missed from not going to public school. This is Jared, just one of the boys who benefited from Josh's extensive social training . . .


Things like:

"1-2-3, Coffee, Soda Pop, Pee" (he used the glasses at the table for this little countdown, as we have no row of drinking fountains to label) I think you can imagine how pleased my sister-in-law was with this . . .

"Me Chinese, me play joke, me go pee-pee in your coke!" Somehow I don't think that these are the socialization skills my sister appreciates. You know, as if the potty humor weren't enough, I think the racial comments might just have put her over the edge.

We're really good with social skills in my family.

5 comments:

Karin said...

I don't know how to comment on this post. Your poor sister in law.

Adrienne said...

Oh Heidi, I love Josh! And I love you for posting about it! I am sure that Elise loved Josh too...

Blair seems to think he needs to educate my little Kate as well....he actually taught her to say, "I just took a huge dump!" Seriously, Blair? Just wait til he has kids.....what goes around, comes around!

Leisha said...

Ah yes, I remember those well! As long as milk, milk, lemonade and fudge aren't part of their lexicon, I think they'll be fine!

Amy said...

leisha is hilarious!!!!!!! I remember that one:) If they ever need to learn how to burp the alphabet I am available!

Heidi and Rich said...

Let's try this again - it erased last time. If you and I love Sarah R. and Amanda Renee as much as we do then we are bound to be great friends if we are to ever meet. Until then here's to my new blogging buddy!!!