CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 17, 2007

My Famous Friend


Last night I had the great pleasure of watching one of my former students, Todd Herzog, win "Survivor: China". Really. Which of course means he is now like $950,000 richer than his former teacher, but I haven't even thought about that. Hardly.

But the best part is that he was a student that I really liked. You know, some students (including some of the ones who went to prison, Boys' Ranch, and other correctional institutions) just wouldn't have gotten my support. But Todd was a genuinely nice kid (I think he probably still is, because who else would add his old English teacher as a friend on Facebook but a genuinely nice person?). I mean, I know on the show he's kind of a schemer. But in real life he is just a great person!

The other funny thing is that when I think about Todd, I think "Survivor"--because Todd and his friends were serious addicts. They had betting pools, "Survivor" parties, and LONG DRAWN OUT conversations about the people and strategies. Every week Todd would ask, "Hey, did you watch Survivor?"

I never did. But this season I watched every episode. And when Todd won, my daughter said, "Oh, mom, your 'Hot Toddy' won!" I should point out that this is a nickname I gave him this year, not one from my teaching days. Because I'm not Mary Kay LeTourneau or anything. I have boundaries. Also, I hope you realize it's like a pun, on the drink, not like a commentary on his hotness, because hello, I'm totally happily married, and also, hello, he's like ten years younger than me, and like, hello, that's just WEIRD!

So, anyway, with all that said--Congratulations, Todd! You stayed out of prison, AND you made a million dollars. That's pretty great for a graduate from a high school that was infested by bats.

7 comments:

Sue said...

That's so cool. I haven't watched Survivor for a few years, but I did watch a lot of this season. I thought he was pretty crafty, in a good way. Good for him. :>

D said...

That is soooo cool! I remember him and his Survivor addiction! He was one of the few Seniors that impressed me- since I didn't spend as much time with them. I will have to rent this season from blockbuster when it comes out! I am proud to say that I was the substitute teacher of the latest Survivor winner! :)

Action in Alaska Team said...

Heidi. . . i do think we know each other!!! Was it at Ricks or BYU? I did graduate in English Ed and was at Ricks 95-96 BYU from 96-97 and did a teaching internship in Springville 97-98. You weren't a counselor for Academy for Girls were you? Didn't you have really long hair? (is that a random memory moment?) For some reason I can picture us sitting in an Elementary classroom together observing and helping out. sound familiar? (for the record, my dad never worked at ricks but is a VP at UVSC). let me know if i am completely off my rocker or if any of that sounds familiar
baconbits4@gmail.com

Jen said...

I think he owes all of his success to you. English teachers make a big difference! He should at least split his earnings.

Leisha said...

How cool is that? I totally think your english class helped him win! Go Hot Toddy!

Matt, Karin and Sienna said...

I don't watch Survivor but that is pretty awesome.

Valerie said...

How cool that you know someone somewhat famous! He, I'm sure, owes everything to you.