CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Financial Fascists Strike Again

I believe I've mentioned that my husband belongs to a rather elite group called The Financial Fascists. So elite, in fact, that it has only two members: my husband, and my brother-in-law, Jordy. They exist for two reasons: to watch their bank balances grow and to keep their wives from spending money. This week Rhett's membership in this elite group reared its ugly head again.

Every year I send a kitschy, dollar-store purchased Christmas package to my brother Josh, who is 27-years old (I only mention his age so you don't think my gifts are appropriate and cute for a four-year old). This year, we visited Big Lots to find the treasures that I knew he would appreciate most. For example, I got him a sweet Christmas CD titled "Christmas with Soul". I know he'll love it. Also, I got him a Christian coloring book complete with stickers.

Unfortunately, while we were there, Rhett discovered that there's more to Big Lots than just Christian coloring books. BABY FOOD is sold there for 25 cents a jar. He loaded up our cart. I looked the other way and pretended that I wasn't with him. Because there aren't any normal flavors, like squash, sweet potatoes, or green beans. But there were lots of exotic flavors that Wristy can't wait to try.

Like papaya dessert, for example. Or my favorite, chicken, carrots and pink beans. I don't even know what pink beans are. If you see me at Big Lots, just know that I'm under orders from the Financial Fascist.

One of these days, there's going to be a revolution.

8 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

Are you kidding me?! I love Big Lots! Shop away if he'll let you. They have toys and cute furniture. I could even buy brand name ziploc bags for cheap. yay.

Adrienne said...

Wow....he should go with my mom to one of her "haunts" (her nickname!). you can get dented cans, cake mixes with arabic instructions, and all sorts of treasures. You know though, at least you have Linzi going through it with you. Misery loves company!

And to be totally honest, you would rather be married to a Financial Facist than a big spender tossing your security and fortune out the window on a whim, right? Oh wait....taking Rhett's side is Debbie Downer...stop saving money Rhett! :)

Addie said...

Hey I hope Josh doesn't read your blog, he'll be so disappointed to find out which Christmas treats are headed his way!

Leisha said...

Hey, did you know that most of our glasses were bought at Dollar General by my very own financial fachist? I think you are fooling yourself if you think there are only 2 members of this society, they are spreading underground and infiltrating households everywhere!

Jen said...

I love Big Lots. They have cheap pickles, and when I'm pregnant with a boy, those are an essential commodity. To compromise, you could stage the revolution at Big Lots.

Matt, Karin and Sienna said...

Please don't tell Matt or Sienna will only be able to eat Pink Beans for now on.

That is funny. I still need to make my way over to Big Lots... my friends love it. Plus, I heard you can get Guitar Hero for a lot cheaper than I got it for. Oops. Oh, don't tell Matt. He doesn't know it is coming for Christmas.

Tiger Lamb Girl said...

Hey - papaya is lovely! See if Wristy likes it (and don't make faces when you feed it to him, lol);).

Adrienne said...

So good to hear from you!! I LOVE your blog. Who needs a cheesy lust in the dust from the Tingling Touches club? Your blog is totally entertaining!! Although, I didn't read about much swooning, unless you count "Hot Toddy" of course :)