CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Wednesday Witch

I talked to my mom yesterday on the phone. It went something like this:

Mom: Hey, guess what I just read? (You must read this in your head in the perkiest, sweetest voice you can manage. Think Sally Field in "Gidget".)

Me: Um . . .

Mom: The Wednesday Witch! (In case you somehow missed this book, it was one that I read when I was about nine. It's about a girl who somehow gets mixed up with a witch who rides a vacuum cleaner and then the girl has to help the witch because the witch accidentally shrinks herself to the size of a bird. It somehow didn't even enter my head when my mom asked me to guess what she was reading. Shocker.)

Me: Oh! How did you like it?

Mom: What a cute book! Do you remember that I used to hide that book from you because I thought it made you weird?

Me: Uh, you hid a lot of books from me because you thought they made me weird.

Mom: I don't think The Wednesday Witch was the problem! It's such a cute story!

Me: Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the problem. I'm pretty sure I was just weird.

Mom: I think you're right!

I think Mare-Mares is finally recovering from my adolescence. I'm so relieved.

11 comments:

bill, katie, and co. said...

You've done it again...I'm laughing my heart out! So funny, Heidi!

Carol said...

I'm glad Marilyn is expanding her mind reading the Wednesday Witch. That was a tad risky of her, imagine if that book was responsible for your weirdness (which I prefer to just call quirky)then it may have had the same effect on her. That's the last thing Bishop Carl needs.

Holly said...

From Scholastic books right? I'm pretty sure I have that one and several others in a box somewhere. Thanks for your comment. I loved it!

Bisel Family said...

I am so glad you are my friend. You are my daily dose of laughter!

And, I must agree. Quirky!

Jen said...

I'm feeling like a Tuesday witch today. Maybe I should go check that book out for a little perspective. I mean, sweeping floors and changing too many diapers can't possibly be harder than unshrinking oneself from birdhood.

Ashley said...

Every time my mom mentions my adolesence I cringe. I am like can we move on, please!!

Leisha said...

Hey, weird makes the world go round! You Mom sounds like a cute Mom!

Leisha said...

('your mom' is what i meant... or maybe 'you momma' you pick!)

Yvonne said...

That was great.

I don't remember that book and when my kids were in school we bought so many Scholastic books it's probably on a shelf--maybe I'll have to look for it. Sounds fun ; )

Lippy said...

So funny when we run out of excuses for our weirdness, and just have to admit we are WEIRD.

This was a classic. Loved it!

Corrine said...

you gotta love moms, that is great.

you are just so funny!