CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Internet Veev

Veevs, my precocious four-year old, and her dad got online a few days ago, to google some of her interests.

They started with herpetology (which is the career path she's considering). She has informed me that she would like her own komodo dragon. We talked about that for a bit, and she said, "What do komodo dragons eat?" "I think goats," I replied (at least that's what they put out to lure them in on a special I watched a couple of years ago). She heaved a big sigh. "I guess I'll have to get some goats to feed to them, then." I guess so.

What they found: herpetology is a very competitive field, as there aren't that many universities that offer this degree. Most herpetologists actually have other degrees that OVERLAP into herpetology. For example, an evolutionary biologist may study the way that warning coloration evolved in coral snakes. Thus he studies both evolution and reptiles. It's the best of both worlds, really. However, most major zoos employ a herpetologist. Mostly to run the snake hut, I'm thinking.

From herpetology, they moved to fire safety. Veevs is all about fire safety. She has planned exit routes from all the rooms, and has tested all the upstairs smoke detectors (with her dad). She asked us, "When will our house catch on fire?" Rhett and I both answered, "Uh, hopefully never." She seemed a little disappointed.

What they found: the United States Fire Association (a branch of the Department of Homeland Security) has a whole website devoted to fire safety for kids. It starts out with the good news about being in a fire: it's loud, scary, and very dark. This is about the point where Veev's eyes became the size of silver dollars. It moves on to discuss how the good air is near the floor, so CRAWL, baby, CRAWL! If you can endure to the end of the presentation without hyperventilating, you can take the test to become a JUNIOR FIRE MARSHAL! We didn't quite make it. You can also download sweet crossword puzzles, matching games, and coloring pages.

After their jaunt at the USFA, they moved on to researching the Airbus A380, and watched about forty-five minutes worth of footage of takeoffs and landings. I fell asleep on the bed at about minute three of the fascinating video clips.

What they found: That is one HUGE airplane. It has two stories, four engines, and, if it is configured for pure economy class, will seat over 800 passengers. It is one of the cleanest, greenest, and quietest airplanes around. And then I fell asleep, so I can't give you any of the landing specs. So sorry.

Is anyone else thinking I'd better start planning fun family alternatives for her high school prom night?


Here she is at an AIR SHOW, proudly showing off her SNAKE face paint (which really ended up on her arm). Yes, she chose the snake herself. And just yesterday she said, "Dad, when are we going back to the air show?"

14 comments:

Jordan & Lindsey Ohlson said...

Apparently Jordy and Ivy are two peas in a pod b/c that is exactly what Jordy says he wants to be- a herpetologist. I surely hope the plastic snake didn't spur this on... Jordy keeps threatening to raise Gila Monsters. Go figure... I think he says that just to get me mad...But he did email some guy asking about their mating habits, etc. And he definately didn't go to his high school Prom!

Heidi said...

Lindsey. It was the plastic snake from Jordan. Ivy loves Jordan, Jordan loves snakes, therefore, Ivy loves snakes.

There's some kind of mathematical proof for that, I'm sure.

Melissa Bastow said...

That's pretty impressive! My 4 year old daughter has changed her mind quite a bit on her future goals, and has decided that she wants to be a fire-fighting-ballerina-vet-football-playing-beautician. I'm kind of glad the herpetology thing has never been entered into that....but very impressive to consider at 4!

Ashley said...

Herpetology, that's pretty cool. My 4 year old daughter is obsessed about the planets. Constantly asking us questions about them. She wants to know their order, how many moons they have, etc. When I was four all I thought about was, 'can I have a new pony?'

Jen said...

I wish my teenage sisters would get a little vision like Veevs. They are always asking us what they should be when they grow up. I just tell them to be housewives so they can sit on the couch and eat bonbons and watch soap operas all day. It's a great life.

Anonymous said...

"Full House" is my favorite show.

Yvonne said...

When my 16 y.o. was 4 he had such a fascination with snakes. I thought we owned every plastic snake there was--today he wants to be a dentist??

Sara said...

I love that you support your kids interests and help them explore...I need to be more laid back like that. I'm all, "Hey Landon, you like blood, why don't you be a doctor when you grow up?!" When my daughter was little she wanted to be a "Wendy's Food Giver".

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

thanks so much for your sweet phone yesterday...you are such an amazing lady ..you know that right! anyways, just had to put that out there and let you know that not only do you give good blog, but you are a great friend.

Sara said...

crazy about eliza...and the circle of life is complete:)

BOSSY said...

Bossy can't even spell that profession let alone be it.

Lippy said...

This was so cute. My youngest is 8 now, and she's had a few career "phases" as well. I loved that she wants her own Kimodo!

Charlie said...

I don't know how much online time you allow to your kids, but, if you are interested, there is a nice Christian website devoted to activities for children called JCPlayzone. The address is jcplayzone.com. Check it out if you have time.