CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

By the Way

I just want to clarify to anyone who might be reading, that I am not potty-training my two-and-a-half-year-old BOY (yes, I know boys are harder to potty-train) out of a desire to compete in "My Kids Were Potty-Trained Before Yours" marathons, nor out of an ambitious drive towards perfection (all you have to do is see my kitchen sink to realize I dropped out of that long, long, LONG ago). If I were Rhett, I would be potty-training to save money on diapers, but I'm not Rhett.

It's just I'm so tired of my son saying hopefully, "Mom, I go potty in big boy toilet?"

I have heretofore responded by saying, "Son, you have a diaper on. Go in your diaper. That's why you wear them." In public, people who overhear this exchange usually laugh. In private, Rhett always says, "Hey, maybe he's ready to potty-train." And then I give him the look of death which, in my past life as an English teacher, would have singlehandedly sent half the football team into hysteria because it's THAT nasty. And then Rhett gets very quiet, and I merrily put diapers on the grocery list.

But lately, multiple times each day, I keep coming across him, diaper already off, hunched over the toilet, business completed. On his own. With no encouragement from his mother, who is all kinds of crazy, but not crazy enough to try potty-training a two-and-a-half-year-old BOY.

Then he comes to me and says, "I did it, Mama!" And he's so proud of himself, how can I not run out to the store and buy boxer briefs for little boys in bulk?

By the way, I love boxer briefs on little boys. I also love that Veevs asked Spe, "So, Spe, how're those boxer briefs treating you?" That girl is a parrot. Her father taught her that one. Before he left me at home with my two-and-a-half-year-old potty-training BOY. Thanks, Dad.

Thanks for all your support, everyone. I can do this, right?

20 comments:

Josh said...

Yes! I'm the first to leave a comment. It's my time to shine because now all of your bloggers are going to read this and I get reading time on your expense. Hahahahahaha. First topic...politics. Who is everyone voting for? Haha just kidding. Back to more important issues...I must say that your son is a pooing prodigy! We want more details.

JustRandi said...

Girl, you've been given a serious GIFT. Take it and never look back.

Sarah Anne said...

Sounds to me like he's ready. What a smarty pants.

Amy said...

he is so ready and now you can brag that you didn't even have to potty train he was a natural...a gift pure and simple..he needs some praise for sure!

Amy said...

p.s....Your brother Josh cracks me up with his political funnies! I am so ready to barrock n roll...

j/k I have not yet place my support behind any of the canidates!

Jill said...

Wow.

He potty trained himself?

Wow.

I'm impressed.

I'm jealous.

Our youngest is nearly 3, and we're just starting to work on the potty training. As long as he's trained by September so he can go to preschool, I'll be happy.
I agree with Randi. It's a gift. Enjoy it. (And brag a little ;0)

D said...

I am jealous! That is awesome. Enjoy it and encourage it!

Carol said...

Lucky you! I am SO trying your method.

Note to self: Totally do nothing to encourage child number 2 to be potty trained, in fact actively discourage all potty training opportunites. That way child potty trains themselves!

Leisha said...

Boxer briefs rock. Jake is all muscley (sure sign of adoption!) and seing their round little bums in those boxers makes me smile!

I didn't get the sense fom your last post that you were competing...I have a 2 year and 2 month old little boy who wants to go in the potty too and I say "Hey, get that diaper back on boy!"

My method is the stark naked method (i.e. the 'who wants to clean another pair of wet or poopy drawers method') I have found it is messy for a few days, but works fast. It's best in warmer weather though.

I just let my kids run naked (best done outdoors with potty nearby.) When they go potty without thinking about it, they see it and feel it right away. It seems to teach them the "hold it in til you get to the potty" part better than the other methods I've tried.

And Valerie, don't feel bad. Rachel still wears pull-ups at night too and she was potty trained super-early! She's just a deep sleeper and doesn't seem to wake up until it's too late!

Leisha said...

(um, I think I just replied to some other post made by valerie...oops!)

Texas Mommy said...

That is so cool! I hope audrey will follow Spe's example and go on her own, then I can just sit back and watch her do it on her own! Congrats, you must be so proud!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Ok, my little guy is almost 3 and when I take off his diaper in hopes he'll take interest in the toilet, he just says, "I need a diaper!" You're miles ahead of us and that is where you WANT to be!!!

Jen said...

Are you actually surprised that your son is so brilliant? I believe he takes after his mother.

Leisha's method sounds very fascinating. If I were going to try that, I would have to lock daughter pie in the bathroom all day, though, and I don't think she'd agree.

Melissa Bastow said...

That's amazing - - my son who turned 3 in December runs screaming at just the mention of a toilet. Let's trade!

Bob said...

Since this blog is at a jr. high level and since Spe already has the capacity to self teach/learn potty training, maybe he could write for the blog!;) Ha! Doi!!

Lippy said...

OK THAT was too easy! One of those moments we parents have to just appreciate, and not question at all. Ya don't want to jinx it!

Charlie said...

I'm so clueless to anything even related to kids that I don't even know what age kids normally start potty training... I have a feeling I'll be a great dad some day... not! God help me...

Sharon said...

Of COURSE you can do it...he's done most of the work for you! :) Just don't be shocked if one day he suddenly refuses to have anything to do with it. RJ did the same thing about 4 months ago. Suddenly one day, he would scream if I tried to put him on the potty. :) It's all behind us now, though.

(Behind us...get it??) LOL

Bryner Family said...

My 2nd child (I only have girls, so I can't comment on the boy thing) potty-trained herself at 22 months. I got lots of comments and dirty looks from people that saw me taking her to the bathroom as if I was forcing the poor child to sit on it. She wanted to and did it. With no encouragement really but with assistance when she asked. She changed her mind for about a week and I didn't make a big deal about it (had to try really hard not to make a big deal) and then she decided to go for it again and never looked back. It is a gift (as another commenter posted) and you should be happy! :)

Yvonne said...

Wow! That is fantastic that he WANTS to do it. As mentioned above--what a gift!!! Good for him (and you, too ; )

And yes, you can do it!!!!