CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 8, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

You know, I've got to admit that when I started a blog, I seriously had read ONE blog (one of my former students' blog and it was about Boolean operators. Seriously.). So it was with complete AMAZEMENT that I realized this is like a whole community. I just had no clue at all. I didn't know that there were like blog superstars and I didn't know that there were random people who leave nasty comments or, even better, advertisements embedded in a comment. I didn't know about lurkers, blogjacking, trolls, or blog awards.

But I've loved my blog experience. Today I received my FIRST EVER blog award. And it was from someone I've never met but still consider a friend, in that weird way that only blogging allows you to do. So, thank you, Randi! I appreciate it so much!


And it got me thinking about all the kindness that I've received since I started my blog. Seriously, it makes my day just thinking about it.

So I'm going to pass the award along to some of those people who have accepted me sight unseen as a blogging-friend. I mean, of course, that I'm giving one to Jen, who was one of the first strangers to regularly read (and comment!) on my blog. I feel like we could happily be neighbors and best friends if only we didn't live four states away from each other.

I'm giving one to Charlie, whose post about my blog still makes me blush. Except of course, that I have no shame and I revel in attention from other people. But if I were a normal person, I'd blush.

Also, a couple of people who I already know, but still shamelessly lap up their praise: I'm giving one to Adrienne, my cousin, who gave me a "shout-out" and singlehandedly doubled my traffic. A, I'm serious, I think you have more friends than American Samoa has citizens.

And my friend Katie, whose blog is private, but who still sends people my way. I appreciate so much the feeling of connection that blogging gives me with people with whom I would otherwise have lost touch (because let me be quite honest, I SUCK at keeping in touch with people!).

Seriously, guys. You honestly make my days better!

14 comments:

Laura said...

Heidi,
It is so fun reading up on your life. Are you in Utah these days? Love you tons!

JustRandi said...

Yea! You really do make me smile almost every day! Congratulations. I'm glad we're cyberfriends!

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the mention Heids! A wit like yours would be a precious thing to waste, hence the shout out to your blog!

Did it really double your traffic? That's great!

But honestly, I read your blog and just marvel at your cleverness.

Suzanne said...

You make me laugh every time I read your blog. You are Mahvalous. I often send sections of your blog to friends to read or send a link to them. You are my favorite!

Julia said...

I'm glad your non-blogging sister parted with your address so that I can smile 1) because you reward my constant checking with a new and witty post, and 2) because you're funny, like haha and that other funny (the kind I like).
Way to go on the award!

Cherylann and Mike said...

Since I have just been lurking for a long time I figured this is a great time to say, you make my day too! Katie sent me your way and I checked your blog more than normal people should. I have finally "subscribed" so that I can hold back on that impulse, (yet it lags behind sometimes, so I still check on top of that sometimes.) Thanks for making me feel more normal with your hilarious honesty! You rock!

Celia and Scott said...

Okay, so should my blogging pride be wounded that Adrienne got a shout out and not me? Heidi, we're middle children here. We understand each other. Perhaps it's because I didn't give you a shout out on my blog. Dang it! I was going to wait a week or two after Adrienne did it because I didn't want to TOTALLY copy her idea, just sort of.

But for the record, a few of my friends have asked me who you were (after finding you on my blog) because they thought you were hilarious. I said Amen to that.

Oh perhaps I will one day live up to the blogging standards of my cousin, Heidi. And your standards, by the way, better be pretty frickin' high because you're hilarious and your blog's success comes as no surprise to me at all.

p.s. Tell me the truth -- Am I a comment hog? I seem to run at the mouth once I get going in this comment world, aka paradise.

Dan said...

I have like ten of those blog awards.

Charlie said...

Hi! Thanks so much! You're really awesome and you make my day too. I find the internet too much of a bore these days, but I enjoy reading your blog and others, who make me laugh and think. Thanks again!

Jen said...

You are a princess. That whole four states away thing is a great tragedy.

Sibri said...

;0(

bill, katie, and co. said...

Oh yay! I feel SO honored to have an award from you! You have no idea how many people read your blog and think you are the coolest person ever. I'm just so glad to know you personally. You are making people laugh LEFT and RIGHT! Love ya girl!

ajhcreative said...

I Always love your blog. Who knew awards exist and all the other names. well I would have given you an award a long time ago (long as in October) for you hilarious blog. thanks for the dose of joy!

Leisha said...

I entered blogging with trepidation, but could not live without it now! How else would I be able to get to know you intimately without ever getting out of my jammies or putting on make-up?

You are far deserving of the "make me laugh my arse off" award daily!