CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hey, look at me!

At my church, I'm in charge of leading the littlest ones in songs of praise. It's really a fun job most of the time, and I really enjoy it. However, today was our "program" meaning that we took the entire first hour and the little kids had the spotlight, singing and reading their parts.

Or rather my rear end had the spotlight. Because the little ones are so little, the ones behind the piano had a hard time seeing my hands (Although they're not missing much, as I just wave my hands however I want. I rarely am on the beat, and I don't care. And neither do they. They are, after all, just little ones.), so I ended up standing up on a chair in the middle of the front row, with my backside directly to the entire congregation. Do you blame me for wearing Support Everything (hosiery, bra, girdle, etc.)?

There's nothing worse than having your bootie (why, oh why, does my spell checker not recognize "bootie"? I must have an uptight spell checker . . .) upstage 100 beautiful children from the ages of three to twelve. But I believe I accomplished it. Lucky, lucky congregation. Oh, there's more where that came from. Just let me take off my Support Everything, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

My dear friend said, "Don't worry, I made sure we're sitting right behind you." Well she didn't, but her husband did. "Tim's making sure no one gets a good peek," she assured me.

"Oh, honey," I replied, "you better be careful because I think Tim's sitting there so he'll have the best show in the house."

My husband was a little sad not to be in Tim's spot. He tells me he wanted to reach up and give me little pats throughout the program. I told him I think I already stole the show enough. But hey, there's always next year!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I somehow knew you would be self conscious...cause heaven knows I would be. Plus the chair would have broke. Your hiney looked great from the overflow section. I was so focused on the cute kids I didn't even notice. However I do know how you feel. Heidi got back!

Valerie said...

You are much nicer than I...every year someone would try to get me to stand up on something when I was leading the music. I absolutely refused. I figured that even if the kids couldn't see me, they had practiced the songs enough that they knew when to come in! And they always did.

Anyway, you and the kids did a fabulous job on the program! I doubt anyone was paying attention to your bootie when my kid had his fingers shoved up his nose the hole time!

Karin said...

Bootie-licious Heidi!! :)

The program was great. I check your blog every time I get on the computer. Even if I have already seen it the same day, I check again, hoping to have another post.

Bob said...

Now that you mentioned it, the whole time I had in my head the chorus:

"Shake, Shake, shake...shake, shake, shake...Shake your bootie, Shake your bootie."


I'm just kidding! I don't know why women are so self conscious about that. Valerie and I were in the front and I was crouching behind the pew embarrassed as Parker sat there with his fingers up his nose.

Katy said...

Heidi,
Fun to discover your bog! I've rummaged a bit and find your writing very amusing. Glad to hear you guys are doing well!

Leisha said...

Personally I enjoyed the view... I did hear a whisper roll through the congregation that next year we'd like a little more honky tonk in your bedonkadonk. Keep that in mind. What I want to know is how did you guys get my hyperactive children to sit politely through most of the program? I'll buy whatever you've got! Seriously though, hearing Rachel say "Dee Erf!" for "The Earth" was the highlight of my year. What a great program. Well done.

Sibri said...

I wonder what your nickname in the Ward is now???;0)