CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

All the Famous People I Know

Let me start off by saying that famous, in this blog, is going to be a pretty loose term. Some of these people you'll have heard of, some not.

1) I'm starting off with someone that everyone knows . . . of. You know that sweet, hip band "The Killers"--yeah, I totally went to junior high with Ronnie Vanucci, the drummer. He was in band with me (surprise, he played the drums! Me, not so lucky, I played the clarinet). Actually I remember him as being quite juvenile and immature, but hey, he was like thirteen so I'm sure he's become a mature, responsible rock star. Right. Here's the thing that's weird to me: when I was teaching high school all these girls in my class were seriously in love with this band. And these band members are my age. It's kind of like how all of a sudden teenage girls are in love with Johnny Depp again--hello! he was hot originally when I was in junior high. Maybe it was more than just the age gap that kept me from being cool in my students' eyes? Oh, right. It was probably because I assigned them huge amounts of homework. That's a real damper on the cool factor, right there.

2) One of my former students, Todd Herzog, is totally kicking trash on "Survivor: China" this season. I'm pretty sure that it's because of my inspirational guidance during his formative teen years. He recently told my brother that the reason he liked me as a teacher is because I was "kind of naughty". What? Yeah, I know! That makes me sound like I was doing stripteases, but I promise I wasn't. I did, however, get a lot of protests that The Good Earth was a dirty book, so maybe that's it . . .

3) Anyone seen the cover of Southwest Art? If you did, you've seen the work of my childhood best friend, Justin Taylor. If you missed it, you can hit his blog/website/thing from my links. Super talented, and pretty humble, too. I mean, really, the guy is so nice he condescended to paint my nursery in my old house. Talk about a waste of brilliance. . . those ducks, sheep, pigs, and cows were paltry compared to the sweet stuff he's turning out these days. I'm surprised when I asked him he didn't say, "Hey, I'm big time now, crazy neighborhood friend from when I was five. I'm not going to draw crappy cows on your crappy walls, because I've got better things to do." But he didn't. So, thanks, Bustin'--you're the best!

4) Also, I've been chewed out via my blog by two of my favorite romance authors. That's a pretty intimate connection, right? I'll cherish it forever!

5) I've probably saved the best for last. My brother, Josh, an organ performance geek (really, did I say that?), was featured on Cleveland's public radio. I mean, they played his recital on the airwaves! It's like he's a national power player now! Well, I thought it was cool.

How about you? What famous people do you know?

9 comments:

Mandy said...

I like that you choose such random topics. Always entertaining though. Humm, lets see I met Rick Schroder (Silver Spoons - you know you watched it too) and Terrell Davis from the Denver Broncos. Famous author Kent Haruf. And a bunch of famous bands from when I worked at a music festival in Phoenix. So that was cool. If I listed them all it would be around 20 of them some more famous than others. What a fun topic, can't wait to see the other posts.

Amy said...

My aunt is Mary Ellen from the Waltons(tv show in that went off the air in the 80's and now can be seen everyday on the hallmark channel)...which most everyone reading this is too young to even have a clue who she is. Anyways...that is my 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon.

Celia and Scott said...

Let's see, I used to play tag with Josh Smith (organist extraordinaire), Adrienne and I once hung out on Duncan Sheik's tour bus (you know, he sang, "I am barely breathing," we were totally in love), this summer I saw Steve Young cross the finish line at the Provo Freedom Run about 10 minutes after me (it's irrelevant that I ran the 5K and he ran the 10K, point is, I finished before he did), and sadly enough, I think that's where my "relationship" with fame ends. How sad.

Tiger Lamb Girl said...

This post seriously made me smile and lol.

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier (and yeh, the lice here are something fierce. I'm like combing and combing and thinking I've got them all, only to check the next day and find there are MORE!).

Tiger Lamb Girl said...

Okay, out of the three posts I've just read? I've laughed. A lot. So? I'm adding you to my blog list so I can find you again.

Carol Siswick said...

Rob is most thrilled you went to school with the Killers drummer. You know they're pretty anglicised too having to come here to get a record deal cos the US weren't ready for them yet!

carl b smith and marilyn said...

I once treated Gladys Knight, one of the pips, Howard Cosell and I rubbed shoulders with Mitt Romney.(We were both set apart for our missions by the same General Authority(Elder Taylor) I have also lived in the same house for 37 years with Marilyn Davis, everyone knows her!

Janene said...

I can't believe you didn't include that you have a sister-in-law who was on ESPN. =) BTW--you're now one of my "listed" bloggers. Congrats. You've more than earned it--your posts are hilarious.

Janene said...

I can't believe I forgot this, I hugged Oprah Winfrey after I won the world championship double-dutch jump roping championship. She was so proud of our little team of white girls!