CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Coming Out

Right. Not many people know about this, so I have to admit I'm a little nervous to out myself. And not only me, but also my two younger sisters, Lindsey and Courtney. But, I'm sure they won't mind. Probably. Maybe. Okay, they will, but I don't care. It's time that we stepped forward.

We have a secret club. Well, not secret in terms of like "Skull and Crossbones" but still. Secret. Secret like in we're all writing really bad romance novels, and reading them out loud to each other, and giving each other suggestions on how to make it even cheesier and truer to genre. I'm ashamed to admit the next part: our club is called "Tingling Touches". Truly. Veevs saw me typing on the computer yesterday and asked, "Are you tingling, Mom?" No, but I should have been!

How did this start, you wonder? How did three college educated girls decide they suddenly wanted to write romance novels? Oh, you don't care? Well, I'm telling you anyway. It's really my sister Ginnie's fault. She used to make and sell bracelets (I don't know, Ginnie, do you still do this?) and she went to the county fair and set up a booth to move some inventory. Well, as fate would have it, in a neighboring booth was a writer of really cheesy romance novels. But they're clean, because she's in Utah. But there's more kissing in one chapter than in my whole marriage up to this point. But we LOVE them! Why? Because my family a) has a really high tolerance for kitsch and b) because we don't need good writing to feel good about a book. (Seriously, I think I read every Nancy Drew, Cheerleaders, Couples, and Babysitters Club book ever written. I'm not really that picky.) So long story short (I know, can you believe this is the short version?) she and Ginnie traded bracelets for books and we all started reading these really passionate, badly written, clean romance novels.

Well, it didn't take my sister Lindsey too long to figure out, "Hey, this ain't rocket science." So she started writing her own, kind of as a joke and kind of not. So then Courtney and I started writing our own too, kind of as jokes and kind of not. Well, I wasn't an English major for nothing--I know that if you really want to hone your writing you should belong to an author's group. So we started it (I insisted on treats at every meeting), and we met once a week when we all lived close together.

But Tingling Touches lives on, even though the Tinglers (yes, we call ourselves Tinglers) live apart. Courts has finished hers. Mine's on perma-hold currently, but as soon as I can figure out how to start a prairie fire in the middle of winter (I just think every good romance novel should have a prairie fire, but it's Christmas time, and it's so much work to keep them apart for another six months!), I'll get going again. And Lindsey's girl is destined for happiness, as soon as she can control her swinging emotions which cause her to slap the hero on one page and then make out madly with him on the next page.

I know you don't really care, but there are so many facets of this club to explore. I'll post more later . . . come on, admit it, you really want to know the plot lines! Synopses next time, then! Right now, I think I'll go tingle . . .

11 comments:

Sibri said...

Tingling touches..... Oh Heid, I dispair!

Celia and Scott said...

Awesome. Seriously awesome. Well, I'm sure you've read all those Twilight books are there's no rocket science about those -- just some good old-fashioned, teenage vampire love. And everybody I know is hooked.

So what I'm saying is, Courtney, Lindsey (and you, of course), let me know when the Tingling Touches Trilogy comes out -- I'm all in!

p.s. Heidi, are your characters pioneers? Well surely the prairie wasn't totally void of prairie grass and surely wasn't ALWAYS covered in snow. What if someone's lamp fell over and lit their Christmas tree on fire and then spread to their covered wagon/cabin on fire and it leapt to the next wagon/cabin and presto! there you have it, a prairie fire. Well ... maybe not so good. Oh heck, what do I know? I was a technical writing major for a reason -- I lack the creativity skills one needs to write awesome romance novels.

Adrienne said...

Shocked....I am. No offense, but I can see you and Linz doing this Heidi, but Courtney? Perhaps I need to stop thinking of Courtney as Nick's little friend that he used to run around the reunions with!

That's hilarious because I have a friend who is an English professor at the U, and after we both poured through the Twilight books, we thought the same things--this isn't even very good writing, and this girl is making a killing!! We can tease you girls, but then you guys can laugh all the way to the bank when you strike it rich.

But I try to picture me, Cels and Liz doing that and man, it's just not going to happen!!!

Marnie Pehrson said...

Ok, I just have to come to the defense of Marcia... her books are not cheesy. Neither are they badly written. Anyone who can hold your emotions like that in a book is an extremely talented author. People think they can duplicate that on a whim, but it's a lot harder than you think... Believe me, I've tried. When I do it, it IS cheesy, but not Marcia. It's art. :) Good luck in your attempts to copy the master of romance! LOL

Anonymous said...

I think you need to be very careful when you are criticizing someone in your blog. You never know who is going to find it and read it. One of the blessings about living in America is that we have freedom of speech. But, that does not mean we should use it lightly, or say hurtful things about someone. I hope you enjoy your club, but I am sure that you have all learned, thus far, that even writing that even writing what you think is "kitsch" is not easy.

Heidi Hadley said...

Okay, what's with the anonymous? Let me say, I LOVE Marcia. My family buys every single one of her books. We're big fans. Really. Don't take my comments personally, Marcia. Really. We love you. Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I apologize if my comments ruffled any feathers--I use sarcasm as a humor tool in my blog, but sincerely, I love Marcia's books.

LuLynn said...

Sorry about the anonymous, but I couldn't find my login information. I'm just a big fan of Marcia's, and just wanted to make sure all was well. Thanks!

Mandy said...

I think it is hilarious!!! That is great, I want to read a little of what you have written. I am intrigued!!!

Celia and Scott said...

Well, I meant no offense with the Twilight reference. Geesh. My only point was that you three, all very smart girls, could certainly do a fine job at creating a few "tingles" -- maybe not as good as Marcia (hint, hint) but still, a very find job, indeed.

Carol Siswick said...

Love the drama.....all that viewing of Passions must've helped inspire you.

monkie mama said...

As soon as this tingling, passionate (but clean) romance novel comes out, I want an autographed copy! I'm such a sucker for those kinds of things I wouldn't be able to put it down (especially if it's as funny as you blog!)

Finish the books girls! I'm anxiously awaiting!