CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 30, 2008

A "Fairly" Good Post

Last night, Rhett was writing a paper for one of his classes, and I waited up for him. I don't generally like to sleep without him, it makes me vaguely uneasy and I sleep fitfully anyway, so it's sometimes easier just to wait for him to finish whatever he has to do and then go to sleep when he does. (This, however, does not apply when I'm pregnant, when he is kicked into the guest room at about four months along and doesn't return until I'm postpartum. I really need a lot of space when I'm pregnant, you know.)

Anyway, when he came upstairs and saw that I was awake, waiting for him, he said, "Oh, you're a fairly loyal wife!"

Which, of course, made me laugh. Because, what's with the qualifying "fairly"?

In other news, I discovered recently that the only reason my students liked me when I was teaching was because I dropped a few damns and hells every so often.

All that lesson planning for no good reason. So much time spent grading papers. So many summers spent in professional development. All for nothing! Who would have known that mild swearing could endear you to adolescents so easily?

12 comments:

heather said...

mild swearing endears me to people too. does that make me an adolescent? hmmm, possibly.
f-bombs though, not so much...
there. i grew up a bit.

Jen said...

You are fairly totally awesome. We are going to name our next child Damit, so we will feel much better than we do now when we say, "Go to sleep, Henry." "Quit crying, Henry."

JustRandi said...

Maybe you should try the swearing thing with Rhett. Could move you up from "fairly" to "really".

You never know....

Kati said...

I'll stop blog stalking to say, hey, that wasn't the only reason we liked you! Teaching us new words like "promiscuous" helped.

You know how you know you were a fabulous teacher? Even though it's been over six years since I had your class, my friends and I still talk about it and what we did and learned. I can't read "The Good Earth" without thinking of you. Or look at a closed door the same as I did pre-Mrs. Hadley.

Alright, I'll go back to lurking now...

Andrea Hardman said...

I always liked mildly profane teachers better too. They seemed more real to me somehow. And the word Damn is funny. Damn funny. hehe. See?

bill, katie, and co. said...

That's what a I love about ya, Heidi! Always willing to admit that you live a little on the crazy side. (That's usually something I only let people "discover" about me...)

Heidi said...

Kati M--DON'T YOU DARE GO BACK TO LURKING! Or else I will send you a dirty look across the Internet--and really, we all know I give REALLY good dirty looks.

And Andrea, it's true, I swear mostly for comic effect.

Katie--ALWAYS WILLING! More like, useless to pretend otherwise!

D said...

I never swore much until I got married and I tell my hubby that it's all his fault because he laughed. Maybe seeing your students reaction to your swearing encouraged it too. :) Though Damn has been in my vocabulary since I was two so...

Your students liked you 'cause you are real.

Hey I am trying to remember the name of a book you recommended to me... I think it might have had frank in the title or in it somewhere... It was a book about a kid who gets such a following of people that he has to go into hiding at the end... hmmm spoiler alert for all who haven't read the book. I think you recommended it in connection with the media unit. I remember liking it and wouldn't mind reading it again to refresh my memory.

Heidi said...

Oh, what was that book? Um. . . Oh! The Gospel According to Larry. There was a sequel, too, wherein he ran for president, but I can't remember the title. . .

The Motherboard said...

Damn!Thats just a damn funny word. That and holy shit. But, its not so funny when your 3 year old hears you muttering 'em under your breath at Target, and then proceeds to YELL it the rest of the shopping trip. Yeah.
Thats not so funny.

Anyway.

Swearing. I do it too. Sometimes. Ok. More than I want to admit-- but only the "pg-13 ones". No eff-bombs for me! Thank you very much!

The Rookie said...

So that's how you do it. I work hard to not say any swear words (mostly so that I can teach books with a few questionable words and get away with it--my weird logic says that balances things out quite nicely).

Although, I said "ass" my first year teaching and my students in the room that day never forgot it. Year after year they pointed this fact out to me.

Kati said...

Alright, alright! Anything to not get one of those looks, you do give the best dirty looks. I got a shiver down my spine just reading that. :-)