CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

So Much for Independence

You all know that I'm trying to raise an independent, strong woman over here. You'll also remember that some of our strong, independent woman chats have fallen a little flat. Here's the latest:

Veevs: Mom, who's your favorite princess?

Me: Mulan.

Veevs: (with a look of disgust) No, but who's really your favorite princess?

Me: Really, Mulan. Do you want to know why I like her?

Veevs: Sure.

AND SHE ROLLED HER EYES! Like whatever I said wasn't going to matter!

Me: I like her because she's independent and she solves her own problems. She doesn't wait for someone else to save the day--she thinks about what she can do to save the day. And she's smart and kind and resourceful.

Veevs: Oh.

MORE EYE ROLLING! Like being independent and smart sucks!

Me: Who's your favorite princess?

Veevs: I like Ariel and Jasmine and Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.

Me: What do you like about them?

Veevs: I like that they wear such pretty dresses.

Just so you know, guys, being independent, smart, resourceful, and kind? SUCKS!

Wearing a pretty dress? AWESOME!

13 comments:

Carol said...

Just count your lucky stars she didn't choose Pocahontas because she's a slutty dresser.

Yvonne said...

No point in arguing--pretty dresses are awesome.

Jen said...

I can't believe the eye rolling. Can't you pull something out of the "mother" bag? "If you keep rolling your eyes, they'll get stuck that way!"

Karin said...

Ivy is good at the eye rolling. She is so funny and makes us laugh. Matt is hoping that if he isn't put back in the Elders' Quorum presidency that he'll the teacher over her class. He loves them.

Karin

Debbie Freeman said...

In the blogging world, I think they call it blog stalking. That's how I came across your blog. It's Debbie (Edwards) Freeman. It is so fun to read about your family, but I do feel like I need to confess that I have been reading. I feel a slight bit guilty getting a glimpse into your hilarious life without you even knowing. I too have a blog. Your husband may be a hypochondriac, mine is just plain paranoid. Therefore my blog is locked. I would love to catch up. If you get a minute from your kiddos, send me your email address. My email is freefam@cox.net. Love your stories, so glad I found you! (Even if it does mean I am a blog stalker!)

Melissa Bastow said...

Ha - - atleast you try. I've just decided to agree with my daughter on the whole fancy princess crap. That way we can move on to more important discussions like "does sleeping beauty look better in the pink or blue dress?"

Tiger Lamb Girl said...

I'm afraid Carol's comment made me laugh so hard that I forgot what I was going to say.

Andrea Hardman said...

Yea. I have to agree with Yvonne. Pretty dresses ROCK. Why can't they make strong girl characters IN pretty dresses? Are there any? Ariel - no
Pocahontas - definately not
Mulan - sorry, but no.
See?

AMY said...

Honestly, Disney Princesses are evil, yet they work great as a bribe for me. Also, when Addisyn is disgustinly picking her nose, I can say, "does Cinderella pick her nose?" But as far as role models, they are awful. Take Ariel for example, 16, in a bikini and totally rebellious. Nice. Even Strawberry Shortcake is a little floosie these days...our poor girls!

Jordan & Lindsey Ohlson said...

Wearing a pretty dress has always been my philosophy and look where it has got me!

Goodkids said...

I was sort of relieved when my daughter recently informed me that she's not really "into" princesses any more. Regretfully, she shed real, actual tears when we drove past the East High School in SLC where "High School Musical" was filmed. She was so excited; she secretly wants to be Sharpay.

Claire said...

Hee! I snorted when I read this.

a Tonggu Momma said...

In our house, Mulan isn't just a Disney princess, she is the ONLY Disney princess.