CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Borscht!

You guys. This week I tried BORSCHT. And I loved it! It was so flavorful and PINK!

Some things that added to my enjoyment of borscht this weekend:

1) It was not made by me. It was made by a real Russian girl, Anya. And by Russian, I mean Russian, not Ukrainian. I do know the difference, although I always say my brother-in-law Jordy served his Mormon mission in Russia when it was really Ukraine just to bug him. I like to bug people. It's my major secret for endearing myself to people. Why don't I have more friends?

2) It has beets in it. I mean BEETS! I didn't even know you could cook with beets (I know, I hardly know how to cook, period.) and there was this whole wonderful soup made with beets. I feel healthier already.

3) I read War and Peace, Anna Karenina, The Idiot, and Brothers Karamazov. As such, I think I'm almost half-Russian. It would have been a shame for me not to love borscht.

Borscht, people. It's what's for dinner.

10 comments:

Heather said...

I will eat beet soup if you tell me how you found me thank you very much.

Goodkids said...

I'm a friend of Natalie D.'s and she introduced me to your blog. I go to it anytime I'm looking for a real good belly laugh! You have a talent for writing!

Carol said...

Borscht, my only experience was during my Todorachko period. The Borscht story just served as a massive reminder of that unpleasant time.

Thanks!

Adrienne said...

Anything with such a great name ought to be yummy!

Leisha said...

(no offense to your dear friend, but cooked beets? i think i just threw up in my mouth a little... it is bringing back bad memories of yw "international night" i will just take your word on it's deliciousness!)

Melissa Bastow said...

I have missed reading your blog.....I'll have to go through and catch up on all the posts I've missed!! It's like people kept on being entertaining while I was stuck in bed with my bad attitude and a huge gut. Who knew? By the way, thanks for being entertaining, I really wouldn't have thought I'd get a chuckle out of borscht tonight.

Jen said...

Who knew?

Karin said...

What is it exactly?

I love that random people that don't even know you read your blog. I would even if I didn't know you.

Karin

Tiger Lamb Girl said...

Borscht and me? Ehh. Not.

I can just about tolerate raw beets sliced up into teeny tiny julienne strips and tossed into my salad. Because I know they're good for me.

But I just can't do borscht.

Sara said...

My grandma makes this and I love it. Don't ask me where she got the recipe, but I just feel so ethnic when I'm eating it. Everyone needs to experience at least one bowl of this in their life.