CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 21, 2008

Hot Dog!

I'm not sure why my mom let us go to that house on the corner of our old street. But, we LOVED it. Their mom never cared if we spent all day playing Atari. In fact, sometimes she wouldn't let us play because she was too busy playing Ms. PacMan. True, the house smelled like musty cats (a direct result of having nineteen cats, I'm sure). But that was offset by the fact that they had a whole room dedicated to Lego building, especially if the Lego set had anything to do with Star Wars. And one of the cats was potty trained (sort of). So you always had to check the toilet before you went to the bathroom to make sure you didn't need to flush down Fluffy's previous efforts, if you know what I mean.

Looking back, that house at the end of our block, was disgustingly filthy. The people who lived there were genuinely nice people, but housekeeping just wasn't their thing.

Occasionally (I think as a last resort), my mom would drop us off there when she had to run errands or something. I will never forget that their mom fed us RAW, COLD hot dogs. I remember being totally grossed out. My mom always boiled ours for us, and we ate them on buns, with ketchup and mustard. But there, in the cat-hair house, no buns, no warm dogs--just straight out of the package hot dogs.

Do you know how my kids like their hot dogs? RAW and COLD--straight out of the package. I'm not sure how that happened, really.

That's what happens when you judge people. You suddenly look at yourself and you are doing exactly what you thought you would never do, that one thing that made you feel superior to someone else.

Except, I will NEVER potty-train a cat.

Well, check back with me in ten years.

9 comments:

Amy said...

the potty trained cat reminds me of "meet the fockers".

I got food poisoning from cold hot dogs when I was in 3rd grade and I am now able to eat hot dogs again...but haven't gotten to the point where I could eat them cold yet. (and yes..I know they are fully cooked in the pkg)
judge not lest you be judged;)

D said...

I try to cook my son's hot dogs and he won't let me. He throws a fit. He likes them cold. He likes his chicken nuggets, peas, and corn frozen... thank goodness they are precooked. I usually just give him one frozen nugget and then cook the rest. He will eat them cooked he's just too impatient to wait for them to cook. So the one tides him over until the rest are ready. I think it may just be because he is still teething... I hope. It is more likely he is just an impatient only child. Haha... that will change in April. :)

Adrienne said...

Doesn't everyone have a neighbor that's quirky like that? Our neighbor across the street (who I remember as the only person I had ever met who owned a brown metallic bikini) agreed to babysit my sister and me one afternoon. When my mom dropped us off this neighbor was in the middle of her bath and had my mom just stick us inside the bathroom door to play until she finished her bath!! And I still turned out to be a fairly normal person after all that :)

Jen said...

Ha ha. My weirdest neighbor is actually a nice lady, but she always brings us food that is sweetened with splenda or nothing. The texture and consistency are always perfect, but no sugar! That doesn't go down very easily round these sugar-addicted parts.

JustRandi said...

Ewww, ewww, and ewwww. I can barely choke down a cooked and warm hot dog. With ketchup.
Just ewww.

Jordan & Lindsey Ohlson said...

I think that booty shorts Ed was up there as well.

Valerie said...

I don't like cold hot dogs and never will. And I hope my kiddo doesn't either. I don't know if I could stomach that.

carl b smith and marilyn said...

Ed brought new meaning to the word...
Hot Dog or was it cold dog?

Leisha said...

My husband's father would eat hot dogs straight of the freezer...'Pop Dogs' is what he would call them.

Can't I please feel superior?