CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 4, 2008

Frenzied Organizing (or Organising for my British Friends)

The new year seems like a fabulous time to declutter, destress, dejunk, and denounce other people (just kidding with that last one). But I am totally clearing out my closet. So that the next time I see a special on PBS about African poverty, I can totally hold my head up high and say, "I only have thirty pairs of shoes, not forty like I did last year--I'm totally not the over-consuming American."Or I can point out how I pared my sweaters by half. Because half of seventeen, rounded up, is nine. And I'm pretty sure I'm down to nine. Hang on, I'll go check.

Drat. I actually still have thirteen sweaters. The sad thing is I'm really not a clothes horse. So I know someone out there is thinking, "How can that poor girl dress herself with only thirteen sweaters to choose from?" My answer: "Go watch a PBS special on African poverty, sweetheart, and then get back to me."

So this year, I'm going to try really hard to a) dejunk and declutter my closet, and b) to only buy new clothes that I really love--not just a good deal that I think I can't pass up.

Case in point: The other day I was at Target and I saw a pretty cute skirt for only five dollars. FIVE DOLLARS! It's like no money, practically. But then, with my new perspective, I realized that I don't need it. I don't absolutely love it. And I might also have realized that I don't have a shirt to go with it. So I put it back on the shelf.

I might still be an over-consumptive American, but at least I'll be an over-consumptive American with an organized (or organised, for my British Friends) closet.

What are you getting rid of this year?

PS--Did you notice how The Expert totally tried to scientifically explain away the Holy Toenail in his comment on the original post? Science is so like that. However, I am taking his advice about the Lamisil. Just in case . . .

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am getting rid of my decades supply of extra weight/fat! You know I really don't need it and then I can start being the over-consumptive american and by lots of cute small clothes! your closet looks awesome!;)

Sue said...

My closet is so decluttered it is practically empty. I have NOTHING TO WEAR. NOTHING. I'm on the opposite kick this year - find something to wear, STAT.

Jen said...

I'm starting to think you are my twin in another body with a better sense of humor. I just organized my shoes and sent several pair to the thrift store. And I resolved last fall to quit buying shirts because they cost less than $7.50 and wait until I fell in love with something. Must be the Zeitgeist.

Leisha said...

Wait...you have 13 sweaters? How long have you lived in Texas? You will have to wear them all in one day if you want to wear 13 sweaters around these here parts little darlin'!