CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Problem with Drama

You know, most of the time, I really like being a "dramatic" person. Sure, I get a little bit of flak for it, but it's pretty sweet that I can use jazz hands (ironically! Not for real!) in conversation and no one thinks twice about it. I mean, sure, they laugh at me, but then they just move on because everyone knows I'm a "little dramatic". It's just part of who I am.

But as with every personality trait, there's a downside. And no, the downside isn't that I think my life is one big giant stage for the Heidi Variety Show. That's one of the perks. The downside is that when you are known for being a "little dramatic" you can't get any real respect.

I was listening the other day to KNPR and they (I say "they" because I can't remember the interviewer's name. But it wasn't Carl Castle, I know that. Nor was it MeShelle Norris.) were interviewing a journalist who got fired because of his crack cocaine addiction and then pulled his life together and is now out stumping his book about his crack cocaine addiction and recovery. You might think this story doesn't have a point, but just you wait. I didn't invoke the journalistic integrity of NPR lightly. Anyway.

The journalist was saying that when he left rehab he went back to all of his old employers and basically begged for his job back. It was tough, because he said there was no new rhetoric to express that he was really dedicated to recovery. He'd said it all before when he actually wasn't on the road to recovery. He would tell them that he was attending meetings and doing really well, but they had heard that before from him, with really bad results. He would tell them that he was getting his life together, that things would be different, that he was really serious this time, but he'd already used all those lines, and it was hard for them to respect him.

And not that I'm a crack cocaine addict, but man, did I feel his pain.

You guys, no one takes me seriously, either. If I tell Rhett that I'm feeling depressed, I get no sympathy (and no Prozac, either) because he's already heard me express the same emotion about the end of the Bachelor season (seriously, you guys, I love it! It's like a tragicomedy!) and the inability of my dishwasher to clean dishes that haven't been pre-scrubbed (Isn't that why I have a dishwasher?).

If I say I'm really excited at something, I'm pretty sure people assume that I'm only slightly above catatonic about it, because I've already expressed serious, major enthusiasm about peppermint ice cream (Couldn't you eat like seven gallons in one sitting? I think I could!), Kenny Rogers' latest facelift (oh, I'm joking, of course, because really, I don't even think Kenny could be excited about that) and kitschy teen romance novels circa 1980.

I'm like the boy who cried "Wolf!", except at least I did it with jazz hands to emphasize my point.

Seriously, I'm a little depressed about it.

Seriously!

11 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

I can totally picture the jazz hands. Seriously.

Cathy said...

I am not a very dramatic person, and I don't mind any one who is, but I often do not feel I am taken seriously or gain sympathy when necessary! So at times I go on my own "self-pity" trip and write in my journal about this terribly "out of balance world" we live in!

Carol said...

Heids, I love the drama.

You know that.

JustRandi said...

That whole idea is just a little depressing, isn't it?
(But I said that with jazz hands, so you know I really meant it.)

Melissa Bastow said...

Atleast your not a crack addict.....right? I'm trying to be optimistic today- mainly I just pull a Polly Anna and try to find the "bright side" of things....it's not going very well. But hey, atleast you're not a crack addict....

Andrea Hardman said...

I think I'm going to use jazz hands now. It sounds so...so....I don't know. But I'm going to use them so that someday, I can post about them on my blog and be as cool as you, Heidi!

Celia and Scott said...

That is the problem with drama. The thing is though, dramatic people, i.e. you and I, are far more capable of feeling truer, more pure emotions at any given second, and then flip-flopping to the opposite end of the spectrum the next second. It's not that the Bachelor's ending isn't true depression -- oh but it is! -- but our REAL depression, i.e. REAL depression, is so much worse than everybody else's "depression." We're just dramatic, so we FEEL more. Right?

Seriously.

ktmay said...

i totally feel your pain. but i like expressing my feelings. except sometimes i say stuff maybe i should've kept secret...do you do THAT too? or speak up about something then wish you had just kept quiet? (in other words, caused awkward, embarrassing scenes?) that's my "down side"

The Motherboard said...

I use spirit fingers, yes I do! I use spirit fingers, how 'bout you??

Lets see--- Jazz hands? Check. Peppermint icecream? Check
(have you tried it on brownies with chocolate sauce on top? To.Die.For)

Drama Queen? Check.

Ain't it fun?!

Yvonne said...

Peppermint ice cream--ABSOLUTELY.

I'm not a dramatic person at all--I'm very BORING!!! Maybe I should whip out jazz hands once in awhile.

Lisa said...

Seriously, I get you on the dramatic... and Seriuosly is my worst offense especially in writing.
If something were actually SERIOUS im not sure how I would express it besides maybe, "My pet gerbil died." *Pause for effect*. "And (Serious news).
Seriously, I say it constantly.