CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

State by State

Well, here I am on the other side of my personal hell, and let me tell you, it didn't get as hot as I thought it would, although I wasn't lifted into heaven, either.

Some things I noticed:

Texas should rename itself The Slow State. This is because of all the states I drove through Texas only has a speed limit of 70. Talk about slowing down my journey. Also, Texas, I think, has the corner on Dairy Queens. Those little towns all have one, and since I love DQs, I'm not complaining. But throw me a bone, Texas, on the speed limit.

New Mexico should rename itself The Safety State. Wow, did I ever feel safe. There were all kinds of "safety corridors" (which as far as I can tell, means that if you get caught speeding there, you pay a double fine) and I happened to visit during the 100 Days of Safety extravaganza. There were signs everywhere touting the fact that their highway patrol was out in force, day and night, policing the streets to keep them safe. Just as a side note, and in no way to make fun of the New Mexico HP, I only saw one cruiser during my drive across New Mexico. But that one trooper did look vigilant.

Also, I think New Mexico should get some kind of award for advertising. Because, I kid not, I would see signs every twenty feet for like twenty miles touting an awesome place to stop. And I would get all excited, because the billboards made it seem like if I stopped my kids could practically join a Navajo Indian tribe. "Tour an authentic Navajo Lodge!" the signs would scream, "Indian Village, eight miles ahead!" "Worth the wait! Largest jackrabbit sculpture in the world!"

I would get caught up and almost think about pulling off. As we passed, I would notice that the Indian Village was actually just a 7-11 gas station. I have no idea where they were hiding the authentic Navajo lodge.

I saw a lot of beautiful country, while my kids mostly saw Dora, the Backyardigans, and Mulan. But it was quiet and peaceful and that counts for something.

12 comments:

JustRandi said...

That's pretty funny. I also like how in those safety corridors you're supposed to turn your lights on day or night. I guess it makes it easier for that one cop to spot you.

Leenie said...

Sounds like a productive trip, but you need to come to the north to see som ereal speedlimits. Illinois and Ohio have maximum sppeds of 65, getting down to 55 near most cities, and Indiana JUST increased from 65 to 70...So Just 70 would be nice. Oklahoma is the best with their 75 mph speed limit on 44. Good times.

Carol said...

So glad you all survived, I was beginning to get concerned.

All those DQ's must have been torture for you to drive slowly past. I know how fond you are of their produce.

heather said...

70 sounds really stinkin'fast to the likes of me.
I live in the land of "slow and steady wins the race" at 55.
They call it "the land of 10,000 lakes," but I like to call it "the land of 10,000 police officers for every 10 miles."
So glad the cartoon folk could keep the peace, what would we do without them?

Beeswax said...

So sorry for you. Condolences.

carn family said...

Heidi Ho,

I just found you on Carol's Blog and I can't tell you how hard I laughed about the British Food Post. MMMM, Gateaux!!!

Every night in Macclesfield I would polish off half of one on my own!

Love the rest of the posts too. You and Carol are hilarious. I just linked to you on my wife's blog so I can remember to see what you're up to more often!

Chuck (Elder Carn)

Gina said...

I'm not picky about much, ok, I am, but when it comes to ice cream it better be DQ. They are the ONLY people on the planet that make a shake to my liking. Luckily, there are no DQ's in a reasonable driving distance from my home. So, enjoy one for me!

Leisha said...

Yes well, this is why DQ calls itself the "TEXAS STOP SIGN"!!

Shelle said...

First of all I can't believe you drove, second of all I agree with the Texas state...haven't been to New Mexico, but I'll check the safety Extravaganza before I do...

Fun blog, came over from Mormon Mommy blogs!

Shelle (blokthoughts)

Amy K said...

Have fun with your family! I always loved going to Vegas with you. I am glad you survived the trip, I wouldn't be that brave. Seriously. Tell everyone hi and have a great time!

Bob said...

That drive is HORRIBLE! We've driven it many times through Utah. Summer, Winter, Spring, Fall it is all U-G-L-Y!! Texas is boring but going across New Mexico is about all a person can take. There are pretty spots in New Mexico-just not along the interstate.

Karin said...

That is an AWFUL drive! There are 800 miles between TX and NM that you cannot drive if depressed because you might just intentionally drive into another vehicle. SO BORING! At least you had your kids/hubby to keep you company. :)

Karin