CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 18, 2008

And We're Off . . .

Tomorrow morning I'm shoving (probably literally, there's no way of knowing) my kids in my minivan and driving for twenty hours to go to Vegas. It will be so fun--the driving part, of course.

Once we get to the family part, it really will be fun, and look ma! no sarcasm!

But oh, please remember me tomorrow when your kids act a little annoying (or even a lot annoying). Remember that someone else is enduring a personal hell, made bearable only by in-car DVDs, string cheese, M&Ms and lacing cards. And then remember me again the next day, because yep, we'll still be driving.

And I've mentioned that my husband isn't able to come? Yes?

And I've also mentioned that I've contacted the Vatican to see if I can qualify for sainthood based on this trip, alone, cross-country? Even though I'm Mormon and haven't been martyred or anything? (Because I think I'm doing a pretty good martyr act over here, don't you?)

I think I should qualify if only because of the holy toenail. I'm just saying.

So if you don't hear from me for the next few days, know that I'm just driving, driving, driving. Either that, or God has taken pity on me and lifted my minivan into the heavens. It will be just like that scene in The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston. Except, probably with a lot more screaming (my kids!).

I can't ever watch any movie with Charlton Heston unless it's a religious movie. Can you? In high school we watched him in "Leningen Vs. the Ants" (which was nothing like the short story) and I just kept expecting him to part the sea of ants and lead his people to safety.

And now I will stop rambling. Goodbye!

12 comments:

jennie w. said...

We did the three day trip to texas from Utah in November. Six kids and a dog and no husband. We're still alive, but I don't really know how.

Diet Coke and Zingers said...

Can we be best friends because seriously, you make me laugh so hard it's ridiculous... I will most likely be doing a 15 hour drive with my 4 kids (sans husband) next week. Pray for me and I'll pray for you. Actually, pray for my kids... they're the ones who's lives will really be in danger.

Carol said...

I wish they would make this trip into a reality tv show. It would be just priceless to be a fly on the wall.

Hope Carl & Marilyn indulge you plenty in naps and food and adult conversation while you're there. You deserve it!

I think you could qualify for a sainthood if they pulled out your fingernails one by one and you could still say I love Jesus.

Well so I've been told!

Cathy said...

Our prayers and application for "Sainthood" go with you, have fun anyway!

Cathy said...

Our prayers and application for "Sainthood" go with you, have fun anyway!

steph and brent said...

If you'd like, I'll have a moment of silence for you, staring at the traffic on I-15 :) While this message may be too late, I'll warn you anyway -- I-15 is peppered with construction projects, such as I-15 northbound/southbound lanes have been reduced to two lanes between Lake Mead Boulevard and the Spaghetti Bowl. If you really want to know what to avoid, visit http://www.nevadadot.com/traveler/construction_projects/construction/district.asp?district=1 . Hope you have/had fun visiting your family. And did I tell you that you were in my dream the other night? It was funny. I'll tell ya later.

Jill said...

"Saint Heidi"

It does have a nice ring to it.

Kiera said...

Have fun!! I don't envy your drive!

Julia said...

You are so funny! You're probably already on the road, but my condolences and pity go with you. Bless you for being so dedicated.

Beck said...

Good golly.
Travel safely!

Karin said...

Does it really take 20 hours to Vegas? It took us 20 from Orem. Anyway- be safe and have fun!!

Karin

@my said...

girl hope you have a safe and sane trip