CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

Every Last Copy

On Saturday, we were on our way home from our church's Fourth of July breakfast, which was actually held on the fifth of July, but I guess as long as we have it sometime in July, no one should complain. This is the kind of flexible thinking on my part that makes my marriage work.

"Oh," I said to Rhett as we passed through the Old Town part of our city, "I want to stop at the Friends of the Library Used Bookstore." (Yes, that's what it's really called, and it's only open two days a week, so you have to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. But only if it's hot between 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday or Saturday.)

So we stopped. Rhett, with the good, common sense that makes our marriage work, stayed in the car with the kids so that I could browse uninterrupted. I believe he made the most of his time by readjusting everyone's car seats. (Wristy--up a shoulder slot! Veevs--readjusted shoulder panel! Spe--tightened straps!) That's the strong Mormon work ethic that also makes our marriage work. His work ethic, of course, not mine.

I went in and started browsing and did what I always seem to do when I go to any bookstore--try to talk myself down from buying books that I already own.

I'm not sure why I feel so compelled to own every copy of Peace Like a River. Or why I want to fill an entire shelf with These Is My Words. And don't get me started on how many copies of The Good Earth I almost buy. It's one of those personality quirks I just have learned to live with.

I think my obsession with owning multiple copies of a book might go back to when I had a vast and beautiful young adult library in my classroom, only to discover that my books were slowly, slowly disappearing, shoved, I'm sure, into lockers and under beds and probably in garbage bins. The point is, I learned really quickly to grab two or three of every good title, because, quite honestly, they would all disappear at some point.

Is it wrong to want to own the entire global supply of The Great Gatsby? What book would you buy every copy of (assuming you were a crazy book hoarding freak, like me)?

21 comments:

@my said...

you never cease to amaze me with your humor on every subject of life. I so love it!

JustRandi said...

oh, that is funny!
Assuming I were a crazy book hoarding freak, I would own the world's biggest supply of Anne of Green Gables. Because I only own 3 copies, and we both know that's not near enough.
I might also pick up an extra few copies of The Hiding Place.

Melissa Bastow said...

I don't know about the book hoarding because I was too in awe about your husband WILLINGLY staying in the car with the kids AND using his time wisely by adjusting carseats. My husband considers all time spent with the kids as "babysitting" and would probably just throw them on the roof of the car if I didn't have and intense obsession with carseat safety. Kudos to Rhett!!

TheMoncurs said...

What Dreams May Come! Every time I see a copy my fingers get twitchy.

Sibri said...

The Alchemist... and give as many away to my friends as I could afford :0)

heather said...

to write this i am allowing my baby to chew on a (currently) un-opened box of junior mints.

Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers (looks like a romance, but is and isn't- a beautiful story of grace and redemption)
oh shoot, he got it open, just a sec...
okay, um...there are a few hundred more but now I'm wondering how bad chocolate really is for babies...
To Kill a Mockingbird, Kite Runner, While I Was Gone, I know I'm forgetting something...
yes, I buy multiple copies too - especially from garage sales...50 cents a pop, why not???

Julia said...

The Bonesetter's Daughter,
any Harry Potter (I know ... I think I'm 15)
The Grapes of Wrath,
Little Women, to name a few.

But I'm not a book hoarding freak. I am a book reading freak and I'm content to read most books once, except a notable few which I like to pull out and read every few years.

I had to delete that first attempt ... I misspelled several words in my attempt to hurry

Jen said...

Jane Eyre, hands down.

Also, just about any book by Shannon Hale, and The Count of Monte Cristo.

Carol said...

Well excluding David Beckham's My side (which is more for the pictures!) I'd have to go with Wuthering Heights. Sure it is depressing, but it has plenty of drama.

Drama I love! (Which you probably already knew!)

Anonymous said...

1001 Best Golf Holes in the USA. by PJ Hacker.

Jordan & Lindsey Ohlson said...

All of the Couples books... oh wait I have already done that!

Veronica @ Toddled Dredge said...

I have to stop myself from buying another copy of Daddy-Longlegs whenever I see it.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I'm so embarrassed (you caught me!). I own over 10 copies of A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh, four copies of To Kill a Mockingbird and three copies of The Out of Sync Child (by Carol Stock Kranowitz). That last one is out of necessity because people do borrow it all of the time, not because it's great literature (it's more of a self-help parenting book).

Bob said...

The NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly.

Heidi said...

Yes, tonggu momma--I love that book. And just as good is The Out of Sync Child Has Fun. Great parenting ideas for ALL kids, not just ones with SPD.

Yvonne said...

Oh how I wish I read like you do--I do own a ton of copies of The Peacegiver because I've given copies to so many people. I'd also go along with randi and say The Hiding Place.

The Rookie said...

I am feeling you on so many levels on this post.

Confession: I have a ratty old copy of some lame 80's young adult book with "Mrs. Sowers'" clearly scrawled on the back cover (and a few other places all over the book because we teachers think this somehow aids in the return of the book to its rightful owner). I believe that keeping this book is my bad karma as a teacher. It is just so true--books fly off my shelf but never quite seem to return to their safe nest.

And addressing your original question--I do and will purchase just about every copy of Willa Cather's "My Antonia" I can get my hands on. 50 cents at Good Will is just too good a deal to pass up.

kelly said...

I didn't read this post until just today. But I wrote about These is my words on Monday also. I only just barely read it, but loved it so much.
I think if I were going to buy a bunch of copies of one book it would be The Old Man and The Sea. It's one of those books that I read in high school for the first time but it changed the way I chose books to read and I still love it. I have three copies and I don't know why.
Maybe because they all have different illustrations on the cover?

Andrea Hardman said...

Opal, The Journey of an understanding Heart. This is one of the most delightful books I've read - the compilation of journals written by a 6 year old in the early 1900's. This one I can read over and over again.

chloereeseblog said...

I've been lurking for a while and guess I can stop being shy. I've typed a few comments only to delete them so I'm going to hit publish quick before I chicken out. To answer your question I have to say the book I hoard lately and buy in quantities to force upon my friends is The Little Lady Agency. Just read the final of the 3 books and almost peed it was so funny. I love your ability to stop the blogging pretense that everything is perfect and you are perfect. Your humor suits me perfectly, that's why I stock your blog.

Heidi said...

Chloe--I'm so glad you did. And yes, things are not perfect here!

I've never read The Little Lady Agency, so now you've given me new joy for the next time I go to the bookstore. Thanks!