CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Veevs


Veevs turned five this week. That girl is something else. She is just, like, so grown-up now. She rolls her eyes at me now and everything.

If I tell a story when we are with friends that in any way involves her name, she will look at me, her eyes pleading for mercy, and then she'll cover her ears in anguish, and whisper fiercely, "Mom! You're embarrassing me!"

I wish I could say I apologize. But I usually just say, "Get used to it, honey. You've got years and years and years left of this."

Last night as I put her to bed, I snuggled up next to her, and just looked at those expressive eyes. They danced when she told me a knock-knock joke.

"Knock-knock."

"Who's there?"

"Banana."

"Banana who?"

"Banana underwear!"

I'm not sure I get it, but I think it's the underwear that's the pure comic genius.

Her eyes got serious when she told me that she really doesn't want Spe to touch her brand new Biggest Littlest Pet Shop. Because he breaks stuff. And he doesn't even know how to put the bridle on the pony.

Then, she explained the story of Noah and the Ark to me. Her eyes were a little puzzled as she thought about the logistics of the whole flood, living in an ark situation. "So, Mom?" she asks.

"Yeah?"

"Did Noah have to feed the crocodiles other animals?"

"Uh, probably. I don't know. The Bible isn't that specific."

"Oh." Then she smiles, her eyes mischievous, "Aren't you glad you didn't have to feed the crocodiles?"

"Oh, yes!"

She puts one hand on my cheek, and says, "Mom, you are doing a really great job. Spe is sometimes crazy and Wristy cries sometimes but you are the best mom."

And then I got all teary-eyed. That girl is something else.

17 comments:

Bryner Family said...

Oh, that brought tears to my eyes! My oldest is 5 too and sometimes she says the sweetest things right when I need her to. And she started rolling her eyes at me too. :) Happy Birthday Veevs!

Yvonne said...

That is so sweet. It's wonderful when they say things like that, isn't it.

Happy Birthday to your little Veevs.

Amy said...

oh that is so sweet...I really can relate to the embarrassment issue cause megs used to say that to me everytime I retold a story...now she just tells me I am retelling the story wrong. Whatever!

Ok she melted my heart with the good mom comment. How tender a moment to share with us....thanks

PS I blog again..incase you didn't know! hugs
Amy

Carol said...

I got teary eyed too! I can only imagine what a terrifc (and hilarious) mum you are.

I don't get the joke either but the punchline has underwear in so it must be hilarious. My boys would totally think that was funny!!

She's looking so much like you, hell you're old to have a five year old! But you're not as old as me!

Leisha said...

What a girl! About 2 years ago I was subbing for their Sunbeam class and I just fell in love with her. I asked the kids to sing a song and she stood up and kind of pushed the other kids behind her and started belting out a tune at the top of her lungs! I was like "Right on Sister!"

Happy Birthday!!!

Valerie said...

Adorable! Cherish those moments...it's what makes doing the whole mom thing worth it!

Happy Birthday!

Natalie said...

I can't believe she's 5...didn't she just turn 2? We sure miss you guys!

JustRandi said...

Sweet girl. Those moments are the ones that make it worth it!!

Jordan & Lindsey Ohlson said...

I had to laugh last night when Jordan called Ivy to wish her a belated birthday...and they talked for well over 10 mins. about Grandma Marilyn's snails eating the petunias, listening to her bed time story tape, Spe pushing over her dresser, all her birthday gifts, and she was even polite enough to ask how Baby Jack was! She is the cutest little girl and we miss her so much!

Jill said...

What a sweetheart! She's darling!

I love it when my kids are old enough to be embarrassed by me. I like to think of it as payback for all the grocery store tantrums that they put me through.

Karin said...

That is so sweet. I love little comments like that. My niece always says things like that. Happy B-Day Veevs!!

Karin

Charlie said...

That's a great picture! Happy mother's day...

Alice said...

She is so sweet.

Personally, I am glad I didn't have to feed the crocodiles.

and, underwear makes me giggle too :)

Celia and Scott said...

What a cutie! I loved this post. Can Veevs come over to play?

The Rookie said...

How nice is she!? What a great kid.

You should totally frame this post at about the time she turns 13. As a former educator of adolescents, you know what I'm talking about: you won't hear that kind of feedback for a while when that happens.

Tiger Lamb Girl said...

Sometimes they just take your breath away with the things they say, huh;)?

Bisel Family said...

Those are the shining moments of joy we need to grasp onto when the other moments are upon us. Thanks so much for making me laugh.