CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

If We WERE Going to Talk About Politics . . .

If we WERE going to talk about politics, which WE'RE NOT, because, hello, how crazy do I look to you?

But, hypothetically, if we were, here would be some things you should probably know:

1) We probably won't agree. My party affiliation is pretty much the opposite of the majority of people in my state (Texas!), my religion (Mormon!) and my family (Smiths!).

2) It will annoy me when you assume that I will agree with you because I live in Texas, because I'm a Mormon, or because I'm a Smith girl. I'm feisty like that.

3) I like to talk about the issues, not gut feelings. If you want to talk to me about politics, you should really know where your candidate stands on energy, education, Iran, and fiscal policies. I don't want to talk about their family, who they dated in high school, or how you just can't put your finger on it, but for some reason you just don't feel like they are that trustworthy (Because just ask George Bush--those gut feelings can be wrong. When he met Putin for the first time he looked into his eyes, "saw his soul" and just knew that he was a good, trustworthy man. Oops!).

4) Not admitted as evidence or acceptable proof of your claims of your candidate's superiority? Anything that has made its way to you via an email forward. This includes amazing stories of your candidate's (or my candidate's, for that matter) compassion for the underprivileged as well as senseless ramblings attacking my candidate's (or your candidate's, for that matter) commitment to their religion, their country, or their wife. I'm just saying, that stuff is called PROPAGANDA, not proof.

5) I get that you can have a different point of view from mine and still have a valid point of view. You should get that, too. (You guys, politics makes me super bossy. Can you tell?)

6) I will get CRAZY. I always think I can totally have a reasonable, logical, fabulously calm discussion with someone, wherein we will both leave thinking, Wow, that was intellectually stimulating. I now see the issues in new and exciting ways, and I have so much respect for my dear friend who sees things differently than I do. The sad truth is that the last time I had a political discussion with someone Rhett said later, "Uh, Heids, I'm not saying you weren't right, but it kind of seemed like maybe you were sort of trying to like verbally take that guy's head and smash it against the concrete curb over and over and over."

And that's the real reason why we won't discuss politics. You don't want your head smashed into a curb, do you?

Let's just be friends instead.

25 comments:

Jen said...

So,I think I am in the minority of your readership that I agree with you...I too stay away from politics on my blog (even though I am thinking about posting a picture of the adorable candidate t-shirt my mother-in-law got the baby), because although I am not Mormon, I did go to school in Utah, and I am too the black sheep of my conservative "biological" family!

shauna said...

Come on Heidi, that was a major cop out. Lay it all out there.

Rob and Jen said...

you are such a beotch I love it!

turtle said...

Hahaha, but the head smashing is my favorite part!

Lisa said...

Right on, Heidi! Thanks for makin' us think. (I don't only mean about whether or not we want our heads smashed on the curb)

I watched Joy from the View on Larry King Live and she seemed to be making two points. 1)this shouldn't be about personality, it drives her crazy to hear so much about personal lives and 2) interrupting the conversation every 3 minutes to say things like, "Doesn't Obama just have the greatest sense of humor? (+ 3 minute elaboration)" or, when asked about the views of her Republican counterpart on The View, "Isn't she just so cute? She is just a cute girl. And she's so nice! etc. etc." (I know that's not a Presidential candidate, but she wasn't answering the issues question)

It appears you and I can agree to disagree (without discussion), respecting each other's opinions. :) Great post!

janel said...

Is the included picture a political comment, or just an example of someone smashing someone into the concrete curb? :)

Claire said...

I tend to shy away from talking politics because I find it too confrontational. And that makes my tummy sore. And besides - I've got lots more reasons other than politics, to smash folk's heads off of curbs. Lots.

Lisa said...

Hey Heidi, I've given you an award (hope that doesn't scare/annoy you) that you can find at my place.

Heather of the EO said...

You rock the (political) party.

I have this same experience with assumption-making when it comes to politics and such. But I'm better at you at smiling and nodding, while smashing heads into curbs. I just totally skip the verbal lashing part :)

Wendy said...

Delurking to say I think Rhett's right, often political disagreements turn into verbal head smashing into concrete. No wonder I try to avoid them.

JustRandi said...

I'm so glad we're not talking about politics. Things could have gotten ugly.

I forgot you lived in Texas...

Becky said...

Phew! Good thing you weren't talking about politics then, eh? I'm with you on #3, though. I hate hearing, "well, I just get a good feeling about this person." I mean, how do I know that good feeling isn't really coming from a recently consumed pint of Ben and Jerry's or a great new pair of shoes?

Carol said...

Firstly, I love that Lisa was worried that you might be scared/annoyed that she gave you an award.

Secondly, good for you for voting according to stance on the real issues. I would totally just vote for whoever was best looking.

Which clearly would be none of them.

Heidi said...

Bah, Carol. You've got Gordon Brown. What more are you asking for in the looks department?

Kati said...

This cracks me up!! Political discussion with "Mrs. Hadley" would be very scary indeed. ;-)

I just realized that I was in your class on September 11th. I mean, not literally that day, I was in Mr. Van Dijk's when I found out about it, but the next day I had you. I wish I could remember your class that day, I'm sure we talked about everything. I can't believe it's been that long...

Jessica G. said...

I got to listen to a customer and the postal worker debate politics this afternoon. And the most heated talker? They guy who knew the least about his candidate! Just give me my stamps, already...

Josh said...

If you put enough honey on your sandwich it seriously tastes almost as good as cake.

Cathy said...

Are we all cowards or peace makers? I suppose you can never get two people to agree on everything, but why do we all get so "heated" about it! I am a very conservative person, but that doesn't necessarially tie me to one or another party. I am also a so called very conservative church member, which at times I suppose is a struggle too!

jennie w. said...

I have three things to say:
1) I didn't know you live in Texas! Where are you?

2) I'm voting for Sarah Palin because she's pretty.

3)You have to check out the last picture in this post. You'll love it.

http://wordtoyourmother-mindi.blogspot.com/2008/09/funnyfunnyfunny-randomness_11.html

AMY said...

On our mish I was sure you had General RS Pres potential. I'm not so sure now. I'm not so sure wanting to smash heads into a concrete curve is going get you there. sorry.

Jen said...

As of today, I'm 87% sure I'm voting for Nader. (Don't smash my head against the curb. I seem to always find out that my favorite people are Democrats.)

Heidi said...

Jen, you're in good company. I have a sister who claims the green party, too. I'm almost positive it's just for attention, but still.

Beck said...

I stay far, far away from politics on my blog, too. For one thing, I am Canadian and Canadian politics are just sort of weird. For another, I'm never going to agree with someone all the way about anything and it just seems like to easy a way to alienate everyone all at once.

Ann said...

I just found you via Mrs. Rader....You are such a breath of fresh air! Bless you and yours! Mrs. Merrill - now in CA

Heidi said...

Ann--HOW ARE YOU? You can't imagine how many times I've thought of you recently? What are you doing? Email me! hadleyheidi@hotmail.com