CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Big News!

No, actually, I have no big news. But I'm not afraid of crying wolf. Being the fourth of eight children taught me that you have to use whatever tools are in your toolbelt to get attention. Some other techniques that I found useful growing up?

Keeping a book in the bathroom. My mother had a strict "Everyone cleans up dinner until dinner's all cleaned up" policy which is part of why I had a strict "I need to go the bathroom suddenly, and it might take me up to twenty minutes" policy. Have I mentioned before that one of my basic character traits is laziness? Also, I don't mind rereading books, so as long as there was a book in there, I was golden.

The closet shove. My mother also had a strict "You can't leave this house until your room is clean" policy which inspired my own "Clean only means out of sight" policy and a reputation for being the fastest cleaner in the family. Funny how that never translated over into dinner cleanup.

The closet hide. This sounds like the same thing, but trust me, it's not. See, I developed socially slower than oh, say 95% of the population, and so I was playing Barbies with my younger brothers and sisters until I was about 15. Which was kind of embarrassing when people would stop by, as you might imagine. So I got really, really good at hiding in the toy room closet whenever anyone came over. I could stay in there for upwards of twenty minutes. But I wasn't alone. My thirteen year old brother was in there with me too. Because we also had a strict "Everyone plays" policy at our house.

15 comments:

Carol said...

Heidi seriously I miss you. You make me laugh like no other.

Will Rhett allow you another break? Come to England.

I have Chocolate gateau in the freezer. For emergencies of course!

Melissa Bastow said...

That's funny. I used to pull the I'm the in bathroom and can't clean up dinner act as well....but without the book. Atleast you were smart - I just sat in there imagining pictures of the blobs on the wall texture. And if that didn't work I would just tell my younger sister that I was going to the moon and then hide in the pantry for awhile. She wasn't very bright back then, plus she was YOUNGER so she couldn't do much about it anyway. And I was never a Barbie closet hider - I was never allowed to play Barbies with my sisters because "I didn't play right" and Barbies had rules at our house.

Jill said...

I like your techniques, especially the book in the bathroom......If I tried doing that now, I might actually get to read sometime (if I can figure out a way to stop the kids from following me into the bathroom)
The closet hiding thing has possibilities also.

Jen said...

Nice to know I wasn't the only person ditching kitchen cleanup in the bathroom with a book. My sisters still bug me about it. Sometimes I'm tempted to go back to this tried and true dodge - but something tells me the work would still be there when I came out.

Heather of the EO said...

You hid in the closet. Too funny.

This is such a fun post, painting a picture of you as a child. You were terribly naughty. :) Or just plain smart.

Josh said...

Just thinking about Dan and how he would hide in the closet with you makes me laugh.

Cynthia said...

Is it being the 4th child? My sister was 4th of 9 kids and she was a bathroom dishes dodger. I was the 5th and apparently not as smart. I did a LOT of dishes.

D said...

My brother did the opposite. Right before we would say the prayer he would rush to the bathroom and stay there for an eternity. My parents would make us wait to eat until he was done and we had all said prayer together. All it gained him was the wrath of his sisters and he was the only boy so that wasn't very smart. He's still scarred though we trained him well and he has a good wife to prove it. :)

jamieBEE said...

Heidi you are so FUNNY!! I can picture you now in the closet while Lindsey and I were searching the house top and bottom looking for you I am sure!!

Too bad I am still using the closet shove method -- I need to grow up so my kids know better!

Claire said...

Being the eldest of five girls, it was my job to shirk my kitchen clean-up responsibilities, and bully my sisters in to doing my share. We pretended to my youngest sister at the time, that we were all mary poppins, and that she was the magic. We'd click our fingers over all the stuff that needed cleaned up and she'd need to come and clean it up - cos that's what the magic did! It worked a treat until our pride in this great trick took over, and we told her of our wily ways.

I now plan to do it with my kids.

Long live the clean-up shirker!

Jen R. said...

Hi saw you on mormon mommy blogs. ha ha this is so funny. I can't wait till my baby girl is old enough for barbies! I'll be playing right there with her.

JustRandi said...

sheer brilliance. Seriously.
(both the post and the cleaning techniques!)

myimaginaryblog said...

I was already being suspicious about my 8-year-old's always needing to use the bathroom when it's time for chores -- but since I was guileless myself when it came to chores (sneaking treats was a whole different story,) I wasn't sure whether to trust my instincts. Not that I can very well forbid her to pee -- which I guess is why this is such an effective ruse. (It's also why I have to take my 4-year-old out of each Sacrament Meeting like 7 times. Maybe I can at least make a 1-pee-only rule for church.)

Annalie said...

I still totally play with Barbies and I'm 24. I wonder what percentage that would put me at developmentally speaking.

p.s. we don't know each other but 1. I think your stories are great
2. I also have an unexplainable fear of alligators, crocidiles and also possible dead bodies that may be "lurking" in deep water.

ktmay said...

i feel so much better now. i thought i was the only closet hider. but i would never have shoved junk in my closet! i shared a room with my little sister, so i told her the closet was ALL MINE and i turned it into a miniature play room. (very miniature,LOL) that was my special place to go to get away from it all...i have no idea why my sibs still tease me about being in the closet.