CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Retreating

A few weeks ago, I joined my sisters and sister-in-law in Las Vegas for a girls' retreat. We had a fabulous time: clothes were bought, toenails were painted, sunburns were acquired, gluttony was committed, and a Las Vegas show was seen.

Although the intent is always to desert our children and laugh at our husbands' helplessness without us, somehow there always manage to be a few babies who really can't do without their mother, if you know what I mean.


Somehow, of the thirty pictures my dad sent to me (because I am always lame and always forget my camera), a good fifteen were of these guys. None of these are mine. I did succeed in abandoning my children to their father and in abandoning myself to selfish pleasures.

Despite my best intentions to sleep in every day, I ended up waking up at 6:30 or 7:00 every morning. Spe (my early riser) would have been so proud of me.

Here is my sister Ginnie, my sister Lindsey, me, and my dad at The Cheesecake Factory. And no, it is no coincidence that I, the one with the chubbiest cheeks, am also holding a butter knife. I used it repeatedly, too.


Here's the other half of the table, minus my mom, who was . . . maybe in the bathroom? I don't know, it's hard to keep track of her! This is my sister-in-law Elice, my sister Courtney and my sister Heather. You will notice that none of them have butter knives in their hands either. Sigh.


The accommodations were pretty glam at our parents' house, thanks to an ill-timed basement flood. There was absolutely no drawback to being able to see everyone's feet in the whole basement at the same time--even those in the bathroom! It made pedicures even that much more imperative (and yes, the miracle toe is looking super sexy, thank you for asking).


My dad got to join in all the festivities (although he ducked out on pedicures) because we love him, of course, but most importantly because he has a patented baby hold that just calms a fussy baby down immediately. He's awesome like that.


And that brings us back to these guys. They were adorable and so good. It was almost like they knew that if they didn't behave, they wouldn't have a milk supply. . .

More on Girls' Retreat next time . . . including why I really am a crappy person! Hooray!

15 comments:

Julia said...

So fun! I told Ginnie I'm stealing the idea and forcing it upon my 3 sisters. I think they'll buy into eventually, after I stop kidnapping them :)

Carol said...

Heck I want an invite to girls' retreat next time!! I'll abandon my kids with ease, no problem! Plus I'm more than happy to slap butter on anything. Glad you had a fab time! Maybe I'll suggest girls' retreat to my sister......maybe not!

Josh said...

Heidi you look hot!

Jen said...

Um, awesome. I just want to hear about why you're so crappy...

Kiera said...

Sounds like so much fun! I need to do one of those too!

Leisha said...

Your fam is adorable...and so are those babies! Next time I'm crashing your family retreat and going with you!

Carol said...

How on earth do you get a flooded basement in Nevada? Aren't you in the middle of a desert? What happened? Carl fall asleep with the bath tap running or something?

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Looks like fun!

I didn't know they had basements in Nevada.

My DH took me to lunch at the Cheesecake factory last week.
I totally hoarded all the butter.

Corrine said...

how fun! I need to get my sisters and sister in laws to do the same! I only have one child attached to me for only 2 more months!! hoorray...

Sara said...

It must be something in the air- homebound housewives wanting to let loose- next weekend I'm going to Vegas with some girlfriends. Any suggestions on some hot spots we should visit? There's sure to be a butter knife in my hand too, and an In & Out hamburger, and chocolate, and caffeine...

Adrienne said...

How fun! I love/need getaways like that every once in a while. And WHATEVER on the chubby cheeks!! I totally win the chubby cheeks contest :)

Yvonne said...

What a great thing to do--very deserved. I bet your folks ha a fabulous time, too!!!

The Holcombs said...

cute I love to see pics of family. fun to see some on your site!

Valerie said...

Wow! I need one of those. I love being with family, but especially sisters.