CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 25, 2008

Great Expectations

I went to Vegas for the aforementioned girls' retreat with only one goal. Well, maybe two goals. My first goal, of course, was to abandon my children completely to their father's care, and my second goal was to not be the source of any arguing, drama, or nastiness.

Well. I did awesome the first night. The night where no one was really there yet. I was totally on top of my game that night. I sat and visited with my parents, admired the new frames that they got to hold the family pictures, and walked through the recently flooded basement.

The next day. Oh, the next day. We were sitting around, getting ready to to hit the pedicures when I said something to my sister. It seemed relatively innocuous at the time, but holy! did it start something. Pretty soon all five of us sisters were in my mother's bathroom, (who was doing her hair) discussing all the issues of sisterhood--like "You never listen to me!" and "When we were in junior high, you never let me borrow your clothes!" and "Mom always liked you better!" and so on and so forth.

Oh, I love drama like that, normally. But I had made a goal, people. And it was pretty much my fault that all that drama got unleashed.

When Rhett called me that night he asked, "So how's it going?"

It all spilled out--how I picked a fight, incited a sister revolt, and hurt sister feelings.

"I'm so mad at myself!" I explained. "I had that goal, you know."

Rhett paused for a minute. "Yeah, but Heids," he said finally, "you kind of had some unrealistic expectations."

Next retreat I'm making a goal to start a fight EVERY DAY! Then I'll be successful, no problem!

11 comments:

Jill said...

It's good to have a goal.
I have recently increased my goal weight at 5 pounds more than I weigh right now.
See how easy that was, I just lost 5 pounds!

When we came home after the ultrasound of our last baby and we told the kids that they were going to have a baby brother, our (only) daughter burst into tears and said "I didn't want another brother, I wanted a sister, BECAUSE SISTERS DON'T FIGHT!!!"

I hope you are laughing as hard now as I did then;0)

Ashley said...

I have three sisters myself. Although we LOVE to get together, but we all know there will always be a little bit (or a lot) of sister drama. Too funny. Most of our fights took and take place in the bathroom getting ready! There are four bathrooms in my Mom's house but you know how it goes.

Bob said...

I couldn't imagine having 4 or 5 sisters! I had 2 and that was enough, "he didn't put the toilet seat down" drama I could handle. Your poor mother and father had to have gone half nutty and bald by the time they were 40! All those girls and all those emotions and feelings would be tuff. I hope your dad at least had a male dog around or something. Sorry you didn't achieve your goal but better luck next year!;)

JustRandi said...

Well, it's important to have, um, realistic goals.
Sisters are my best friends and my most frustrating nemesis' all at the same time!

Jen said...

My mom locked one of my sisters and me in a bedroom once because she was tired of listening to us, and she wouldn't let us out until we had worked out our issues.

Yvonne said...

I have five sisters and totally understand ; )

Carol said...

See that's exactly why I never set goals! I can never disappoint myself!

Heidi said...

Bob--just for the record, I have four sisters and three brothers.

The Holcombs said...

Isn't that normal to get into adult fights with your sisters? I think it is and well ya know just apart of life. But the important thing is that you got together and had fun. The great thing about sisters (in my family) is you can fight for 30 minutes and then 10 minutes later be shopping together or giving eachother pedi's. :)

The Rookie said...

You just have to love family: All that brotherly/sisterly love (rivalry). All that history (baggage) together. All those memories (fodder for therapy). All that (dys)FUN(ction)!

And what is it about bathrooms and sisters? Those joints were the epicenter of all things vicious in my growing years.

BTW--As I was proofreading, I realized that sounded quite cynical. I love my family dearly, for the record.

Celia and Scott said...

Oh Heidi. I love this. I love it because I had the EXACT same goal when we went on our cruise. Guess what happened? I DID it! There was a huge fight brewing with Adrienne and I just laid down and let her walk all over me just so she could vent and get over it (which, let me tell you, was no easy feat).

But then guess what happened? The next week when were back rendez-vousing at my Mom's? We got in a fight about NOT getting in a fight on the cruise! You know? Me laying down and taking it like a good sister? She said that was the only possible reaction I could have had! Me? Um ... "No," I said. "I had quite a few other reactions ready to come EXPLODING out from under the surface but I held back." Then she said, "---

Oh whatever, you get the point. Try as we may, we are who we are and they are who they are, and fighting is unfortunately inevitable. It's impossible not to fight but it's impossible not to love them too.

Aww ... isn't that sweet?