CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Am I Secretly A Man?

Rhett and I were sitting around last week, when he turned to me and said, "Hey, happy anniversary tomorrow."

I wish I could say that I said, "Oh, do I have some anniversary surprises planned for you!" even if I had to lie through my teeth to do it. But, I had forgotten. Completely.

Rhett laughed at my horrified face. I also wish I could tell you this was the first time I had forgotten our anniversary, but there was the year before last and the year before that one, when I actually remembered it FIVE days after the fact. There were also the two years that I went to my parent's house to visit over our anniversary, while Rhett stayed home and worked. Those were the halcyon anniversaries, I say.

Rhett said, "I shouldn't have said anything. You probably wouldn't have remembered until August." Which, quite frankly, may be true.

So I called a babysitter posthaste and Rhett and I went out to eat. We had a lovely time and discussed how the first eight years of our marriage have been very productive: we have three children, a beautiful home, and Rhett has lots of degrees. Oh, lots of degrees. I pointed out that the next eight will hopefully be nothing like the first: I better not have three more children (or else Rhett should start looking for a berth in an insane asylum for me), I hope we don't have to move again (wishful, wishful thinking), and seriously? Rhett better stop going to school at some point. I'm just saying.

But this all leaves me with the burning question: Am I secretly a man? Are there any other women who forget their anniversaries, or is it just me?

13 comments:

Carol said...

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to know that I am crappy at this too! Even worse I just don't get why it's such a big deal anyway. I don't need an anniversary to be grateful for my husband or to be nice to him. You know I'm just lovely all the time!

Cynthia said...

I forgot our first anniversary (or was it the second, I can't remember). Nevertheless, it seemed to have set a pattern. Our anniversary always falls during girl's camp and I'm often there. I figure we can just celebrate it sometime during the summer and call it good. Now you've got me wondering - are we all that forgetful?

kelly said...

I ALWAYS forget our anniversary. I thought it was because we eloped and never gave much thought to the actual date.
But when I started forgetting which day my husband's birthday falls on, I realized there really is something wrong with me.

Nice to know I'm not alone in this.

AMY said...

David is so cheap, that our anniversary is one of the only nights I can get him to justify a "real" dinner (meaning something better than Taco Bell) so I never forget our anniversary because I love eating out! :)

Yvonne said...

I never forget our anniversary.

tiger lamb girl said...

Okay, this is making me think we must be secretly related. Because I? Have forgotten all but 2 anniversaries (out of 13...shhhhh!).

If memory serves me correctly, I think I forgot most of his birthdays too.

But this is NO reflection on my wonderful husband, because he's truly wonderful.

I can't be 100% sure, but I think my babies sucked my memory cells out while gestating. That's my theory.

You are defo not alone:).

Jen said...

My hubby is way better at remembering than I am.

Adrienne said...

What a relief! I have been too embarrassed to admit how much I don't think about those important dates. I'm glad to see I am not the only one!

Sue said...

It's the big family joke that I can never remember our anniversary. Even now, sitting here writing this comment, I am not exactly sure what day it is. Either the 26th or the 28th or possibly the 27th of September. I'm not sure. I remember the year, does that count?

We have a no gifts rule on our anniversary. It's our gift to each other. Sometimes we'll go on a little weekend trip to celebrate, but we don't have all the pressure of presents. It works for us.

JustRandi said...

I don't forget the anniversary, we just don't DO anything for it.
Well, sometimes we plan a weekend trip sort of after the fact. I guess that counts.

ajhcreative said...

Funny you mention this because I was feeling all neglected by my hubby and had a nightmare that he forgot our anniversary (note it isn't until December). Then didn't want to do anything for it all. Guess I love to remember anything that gives me reason to celebrate, have a night out and get presents. I love your funny stories though.

Leisha said...

Um, I'm thinking you might want to have your testosterone levels checked!?

(p.s. My life has been insanely introverted and very, very busy lately, but I have all sorts of good intentions for lovely Ivy/Rachel playdates at the park or something this summer, really, I do. After May, I think I may be able to crawl out of my cave and see daylight again! At least, I hope. Don't give up, they WILL be friends....lol.)

Alison Wonderland said...

I forget anniversaries too. And I'd just as soon forget birthdays, I hate having to do a bunch of stuff... Maybe I'm a man too.