CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 31, 2008

No Wonder

At our weekly library visit, Veevs picked out Care Bears: The Movie II for her video (WHY DOES THE LIBRARY CARRY VIDEOS? Are they trying to kill my children's love of reading, or what? My kids head straight for the videos and then I pick whatever books I want for them to read while they argue over what video will be the best choice. Nice.).

I watched that movie when I was a little girl, and I've gotta say: No wonder I'm so weird. Is it just me or has children's entertainment taken a major step up? I mean, sure, Dora yells everything and is a little crazy, but hey, better her yelling than my kids, if you know what I'm saying. And at least she's counting to ten with them, which seems age appropriate to me. The Care Bears, on the other hand, are fighting a villain, who quite frankly scares me, even today. He's demonic and his voice sounds like Darth Vader's. I'm thinking, really? For a four-year old? Please.

The thing I really don't get is the CaringMeter. Seriously, the world's level of caring falls when a little girl gets made fun of for coming in last at a summer camp footrace? But the whole Rwandan genocide-thing doesn't register at all?

Care Bears need to get some priorities, that's all I'm saying.

14 comments:

Karin said...

Don't dis the carebears. JK They were my favorite but to be honest I don't remember the movies at all. I just made Sienna a carebear cake for her b-day.

I love your last post. I should probably stock up on those children love epipens too... just in case.

Karin

Yvonne said...

Oh my Heidi loved CareBears when she was a little girl--I remember the caring meter but not a whole lot about it. I just know she watched them quite a bit.

Good point about the Library carrying videos.

The Rookie said...

Care Bear Stare! Sad, but true, I watched some Care Bears in my day (though Strawberry Shortcake & Rainbow Brite were my personal favorites of the time).

I think you have something there with the videos at the library: it is a conspiracy, I tell you. Care Bears: The Movie II isn't even educational! The original, maybe, but everybody knows sequels are created purely for profit.

Josh said...

Which would beat the other? Care Bear Stare or the Rainbow of Light?

Julia said...

We have a Care Bear CD that I rue the day I purchased. I used to like them, but now I run and hide whenever I hear their cheery little voices pouring out of my daughter's room.

Bisel Family said...

I watched a video of Care Bears the other day and I thought a very similar thing. Is this really appropriate for my kids? All the stuff from our youth seems a lot "darker" than I allow my kids to watch. Do we really need evil voices? I am grateful for Arthur, Dragontales, and Sesame Street!

Gina & Bay said...

You crack me up. I too was a Care Bear fan back in the day. That explains a lot. See you tomorrow.

Sara said...

Loved Care Bears! I have also realized that most of my childhood movies that I adored are a little twisted and weird, I'm also surprised my mom let me watch them sometimes. Ultimate of weirdness is the Peanut Butter Solution...if you haven't seen this, then count yourself lucky!

Amy said...

If you ever need to own those movies..we got um in VHS! I know it is tempting to call me right now and sak for them:) How are you doing girl?

Sue said...

Oh, SERIOUSLY. We saw an old Care Bear movie a few months ago and it was so strange. Something about the care bears controlling the weather or - or something like that. It creeped me out.

We watched way too many strange cartoons. TEELA - PRINCESS OF POWER!

Katy said...

I must concur about the care bear creepiness. I even discreetly made their stuffed care bears disappear (they received from a well-meaning relative) and go to a better place (Good Will.) I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Leisha said...

Listen, we don't do Care Bears in this house. I once bought an old video of them from the 1980's show and it was all about how the "evil" people on the show hid in the kids closets but parents couldn't see them, only the kids did, so when the parents said "nothing is in your closet" the kids could still see the bad guys. It creeped me out, and Jacob did't sleep, for oh, 4 years after that.

bill, katie, and co. said...

I've got major issues with Care Bears. However, I'm okay with the library carrying videos...Where else can you get 10 DVD's/VIDEOS for free all at one time? (That's what we do when we go on road trips...just head to the library and load your DVD case up for lots of entertainment!) Just forget the Care Bears!

Dan said...

"Care-a-lot, we care-a-lot,(clap, clap clap clap)"