CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 6, 2008

In the Kitchen

Last night I had one of my friends, Marie, over to dinner. Rhett was gone for the night and her husband was out of town on a business trip and so we decided to join forces for the evening (thus eliminating the need for both of us to keep every light in the house on from dusk to dawn).

Because Marie's husband can't eat gluten, I decided to make homemade pizza, which has the added bonus of being one of two dishes my children will actually eat (the other, as you already know, involves cold hot dogs). I love making homemade pizza. It's delicious, easy, and the kids love to put the pepperoni on it. To Marie's credit, she didn't even flinch when Spe sneezed all over the pizza. She's good like that.

Before you start thinking I'm one of those women, you know the ones who have their lives together and live to make the rest of us feel less adequate, let me finish the story. Because it ended like all my stories (especially those involving the kitchen) in disaster.

I doubled the dough recipe, because if I don't Rhett will leave me no leftovers whatsoever, and then I actually have to think about what to serve for lunch the next day, and I really hate thinking about lunch. I'd rather be thinking about politics, or global warming, or why I can't seem to fold fitted sheets as well as my mother did.

When I took out the first cookie sheet, the others weren't quite done yet. So I went and put the other pizza sheet on the table, and left the other one in to cook for just another minute or two.

Except you know me. Two hours later, I looked round for the pan of pizza to put it in the fridge and realize it was still in the oven, which was still on. It was, quite frankly, charcoal. I'm surprised we couldn't smell it burning. I mean, seriously. It was bad.

So I did the only thing I could do. I left it in the oven and when Rhett got home at 11:00 I called out from upstairs, "Hey, Rhett, your dinner's in the oven!"

To his credit, he just kind of laughed. Maybe he's too used to stuff like that to really be surprised.

On the plus side, though, the salad was delicious.

16 comments:

Amy said...

awee....Marie. How is she? I miss her. Sounds like you had fun. If you ever see her again tell her I said hi.

D said...

:) At least you got to eat one of the pizzas.

We were on the same wavelength last night. I made pizza too. Only I bought my dough for 99 cents at the local grocery store. It is one of the few dinners that my two year old will eat too. And I like it because I can put all of the toppings I want to on my half. My husband only likes meat. My strange kid asked for hot dog and pickles this morning. He proceeded to eat the pickle and his daddy's cereal. hmmm... never know what he's going to eat...

Ashley said...

Common scenes from my kitchen. Everytime I use the broiler, I forget about it til I see flames shooting up from the burners. Cooking (for me)is a tough skill.

The Rookie said...

To the inventors of the world:
Please invent an affordable oven which reads one's mind when it comes to the best of cooking intentions.

I am impressed entirely by your pizza that did turn out!

ajhcreative said...

I am just impressed it wasn't a frozen pizza. Sounds like a good time. Isn't it nice to get together with friends while the boys are away? I am all for it!

Melissa Bastow said...

My idea of homemade pizza includes a trip to Papa Murphys. So, burnt or not, your pizza making skills are totally impressive! My kitchen disasters usually involve some kind of shattering glass somewhere akward like in the oven...full of casserole. So atleast it was just charcoal pizza you had to clean up, right? And no flames ALWAYS equal mild success!

Jen said...

I will not tell you how much pizza I ate on Tuesday night this week. But I declare that a hangover from too much pizza is a very bad thing.

Josh said...

Seriously. How does Mom fold those fitted sheets? I'm copmletely committed to folding them just like she does and they always end up looking like a big old blob of sheet. On second try it just gets worse.

Carol said...

You have picky eaters too? So relieved. My friends here all have kids that eat anything and when Thomas decided he only wanted to eat toast or cheese for 3 months it made me look so bad!

Jordan & Lindsey Ohlson said...

Wow your pizza looks professional! Shazammble! Hehehe. I don't even attempt Mom's folding techniques... I am still trying to master her square corners when I make the bed.

Valerie said...

Sounds like something I would totally do. Now I have a hankering for some pizza. Yum!

Jill said...

Too funny on leaving the pizza for your husband!
I would have forgotten it was there until I turned on the oven to cook something else, and had it burn again.
Not that I've ever done that before...........

nope, never.

Leisha said...

Yum, that picture looks soo good! I might even eat it burnt!

Jo said...

One of the things I love about my family getting smaller is my toaster oven. Guess what? It turns its self off! I love it, my baby.
And you are lady after my own heart. What would I do without leftovers? I cook too much on purpose, what would I have for breakfast the next day otherwise?

Yvonne said...

That was great--thanks for helping us all feel better about our cooking skills ; )

By the way, how about a demonstration on how your mom folds fitted sheets--I still can't do it ; (

Carla said...

I'm so smart.... when I'm baking something for just a few minutes more, I *turn the oven OFF* :) The 'something' will continue to cook just fine, and no more blackened charcoal an hour later.
I know this to be true, because yesterday morning I opened my oven and found the last pan of oatmeal-chocolatechip-cherries cookies still there, waiting forlornly to be taken out and eaten. Of course, they were a smidgen overly cooked... but they were NOT a mass of blackened charcoal! :)
I'm so clever sometimes, I amaze myself...