CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 21, 2011

The Indigenous People

A few days ago we were talking with someone in our church, and he was saying how much the congregation has grown in the last few years. I was half-listening (because this is how I go through much of life), when he dropped this little gem:

"Now the church is really taking off with the indigenous people in the area, which is really neat."

Just whom do you think the indigenous people are in Montgomery, Alabama? Muscogee Indians? Choctaw? Chickasaw? You guys. He was talking about African Americans.

If it weren't so disrespectful of the atrocities of slavery, I might have laughed at the awesome misuse of a word. Instead, I poked Rhett in the back, so he would know I was stupefied by the whole conversation.

SERIOUSLY?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That's...wow. It's a type of racism I haven't run across before and I don't quite know how to respond.

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Wow!

I worked with the homeless mental ill for 4 years. My uncle once asked me "Are you still working with those indigenous people?"

Huh? Oh, you mean the indigent.

Now that I can laugh about.

Kati said...

Yikes.

The Biglers said...

Hahaha!! I could picture your face the whole time and it made me miss you!! Come back to texas!

raina said...

Hilarious. (I am a friend of adrienne's) (oh, and not of the indigenous type either. Just wanted to clear that up.)