CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Has Been A While, No?

Should I even bother anymore? (Not, of course, that I have been overbothered with this blog, obviously).

Anyway--a few random things that should have received their own posts, but were swept aside in a rush of other more important things like feeding kids, laundry, schoolwork, etc. Life has never been so busy around here as it is this semester.

1) On the second day of school, Spe sat at my kitchen table, drinking a Capri-Sun and having a cookie. "Mom," he said to me (so sincerely!), "How do you even play boys versus girls anyway?"

I hid a grin, and responded, "I don't know, bud. I think I've forgotten the rules. What do you think?"

"I don't know. They're chasing us, but it's not tag!"

My sweet boy.

2) My parents came and we all trekked to San Antonio to visit Sea World. It was a cold and rainy day, and my children discovered that I am the world's biggest baby when it comes to roller coasters. But aside from that, we had a great time. While we were there, Rhett, in an effort to shore up his position as my mom's favorite, asked her to show him how to find his genealogy.

A summation: My genealogy runs through the simple, hardworking folk of the Derbyshire Dales, Shropshire, and other various English places (there are also some Danish folk mixed in for good measure). One of Rhett's lines, on the other hand, runs straight into royalty, tracing back to the Plantagenet line, William the Conquerer, Roman emperors, etc.

It has been a trying time in our marriage. He is wont to say things like, "I'll just leave these dishes here for the peasants to take care of," or "I would say something crass, but my royal breeding won't permit me." (Funny how it never stopped him before.) I am trying to keep him humble by reminding him that his pedigree is really a history of inbreeding, conquest, and oppression, but nothing works.

I may not be impressed, but my mom was, and for Rhett, that's the most important thing.

3) I am now working as a "temporary staff" member at my university. I am grading papers. This is farcical, because I despise grading papers. It was the only part of teaching that I hated. Yay! I get to do it again! Actually, I got on the computer to grade papers. Is anyone surprised that I wandered over here and decided that I simply MUST post before I grade papers? Procrastination is key to who I am as a person.

7 comments:

JustRandi said...

Hey! Good to see you're still ALIVE.
I could taunt you more, but seeing how I basically took the summer off, I think maybe we should just let it go now.

Glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

Rhett,
You areeeeeeeeeeeeee King of the world.

Claire said...

My dad found out that he was related to Harold B Lee and some other guy... maybe Brigham Young? Pfft - i've forgotten already.

I wish he would. He's been lording it up for a couple of weeks now... :(

julie said...

I come from good English peasant stock, too, Heidi! Maybe we're even related - I'd brag about that if it were true!

I love what your sweet boy said!

Kathryn said...

When peasants are pushed too far they revolt. Rhett is aware of this, isn't he?

Sorry about your job grading papers. I feel your pain because I hate it too. When I have a big stack of papers waiting to be graded, everything else becomes more appealing than grading them... even laundry and cleaning! Good choice to procrastinate and post.

AMY said...

Happy Birthday love...

Rhett's royal ancestors probably wouldn't claim him anyway.

My Life as a Real House Wife said...

That made me laugh about your little boy being confused about boys against girls. Because really it doesn't make sense. He's smart