CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The One Bad Thing About School Starting . . .

In my haste to kick my kids out of my house for a good portion of every day, I forgot the down side to releasing your children into the world.

Today Veevs came home and we sat at the table eating a cookie together, talking about her day. I noticed her fingernails were getting long. Okay, actually not getting long. They were like already Elvira long. I'd like to blame this motherly oversight on pregnancy but let's be honest: how much can I get away with here in the pregnancy-blame department? I've probably used up my quota.

Anyway, I said, "Wow, sis, we really need to cut those nails."

She said, "I know. Someone asked me today how come I get to keep my nails so long."

"Did you tell them it's because your mom is neglectful?" I asked.

She swallowed her cookie and shook her head. "No. I told them you were too lazy." You guys. She was serious.

I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. Because what else do you do when the truth about your lackadaisical parenting is broadcast out loud like that?

In my defense, the cookies were homemade.

13 comments:

AMY said...

lackadaisical? Describes you perfectly. When is bab#4 due?

Jillybean said...

At least with her, they can grow long and they look girly. When my boy's nails get too long, it just looks wrong.


And for heaven's sake, you're pregnant, you can't be expected to remember everything.

Claire said...

I love your little girl. She sounds hilarious!

My girls run away when I try and cut their nails. I know it's time to cut them when there's play-doh stuck up there from the week before..

Carol said...

When you say eating A cookie, do you mean sharing one?

That my love is a milestone that I haven't yet reached.

Lazy is the future I'm telling you.

David and Amanda said...

So sweet. I love your sense of humor, I'm glad you were willing to post the story, I really enjoyed it!

Katie Irion said...

Love it. Love it. What a great little conversation. Homemade cookies, I'd take those over cut fingernails any day. What a good mom!

Jessica said...

That is truly one of the funniest kid stories I've ever heard! Too bad we are supposed to teach them to be honest. Couldn't they just lie on our behalf once in a while?

Shawn said...

Yummmm....I am still stuck on the cookie visual....

Chief said...

She will be so glad that she can grow those nails when she hits about 15.

Darci said...

Hey Heidi! It's your cousin Darci...I somehow managed to blog-stalk you and find your blog:) Love the post, that is hilarious! I love how honest kids are.

Celia and Scott said...

It was so good to see you guys a few weeks ago. That DEFINITELY needs to happen more often.

I'd like to let your readers out there know that we saw you when you were out "camping." Tell Veevs to put that in her pipe and smoke it (not literally though, I refuse to be the origin of her future juvenile delinquency, I'll leave that to you) because lazy moms don't "camp."

Heidi said...

Celia. It was under Marilyn duress, you know that. It was the first time we have ever been camping. (I know I should put that in quotes for Scott's sake.) I am lazy.

I just don't want her to broadcast it to the world, you know?

bill, katie, and co. said...

I've got about 10 women I need to send to this blog and NOW. I cannot stop laughing. Can't wait to call my sis in Utah tomorrow and read through it with her. It will make her year.

BTW Saw Sara Allen last week and we are planning another AFG Reunion Retreat. Gear up. You and your funnies BETTER BE THERE! Utah, July 2010