CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It sounds good, but . . .

I just read another blog somewhere wherein the author made a lovely list of things she wanted to do in the course of her life.

For the most part, I was nodding along: yes, yes, I would love to visit Australia, too, yes, yes, I agree . . . and then I read this one:

Make my home the kind of place where everyone else's kids want to hang out.

What? Honey? Do you know how crazy that is? I have a hard enough time keeping it together with just the three who I actually have some semblance of control over hanging around here, underfoot, always asking for food, or snacks, or spilling drinks, or whatever. And you seriously, seriously want to increase that to include all your kids' friends?

I'm just saying, I think I would rather die. I'm not saying I don't want my kids' friends to come over. But seriously, I would rather have my house be the place where just my kids want to hang out all the time.

Because I'm mean and antisocial like that.

16 comments:

Sue said...

Your kids are little, she probably means teenagers. When they're teenagers they'll eat EVERYTHING frozen or junky if you let them hang out at your house. If you don't let them hang out there you won't know what the heck they're doing and they won't ever come home when they're supposed too and you loose quite a bit of control. Buy a big freezer and fill it with junk and then you can be glad they love your house instead of hanging around under the bridge at the park.

Bisel Family said...

AMEN! Thanks for being "with" me.

julie said...

Wow! I just read two of your blogs today. That's what I call a good day!

Cynthia said...

I'll take my fair turn having teens hang out here, but all the time? I don't know . . . teenagers eat A LOT !!! A freezer full of junk? Gone in 2 minutes. How about tricking your best friend or your sister to provide the cool "hang out" house.haha. Then you'll have the best of both worlds. You won't have them at your house, but you'll have someone you trust watching over them.

Jen said...

How about being the kind of house that all kids want to come home to at night, but play somewhere else during waking hours? Not a bad goal.

Bea said...

I've read whole posts expressing that wish, and my main thought about it is that, for me, it's never gonna happen. To have that kind of house you also have to have those kind of children, and I emphatically don't. My kids are introverts who like their space, and who will probably (like me) prefer to reserve the option of leaving the party.

Jennifer said...

Totally with you on that one! Glad to see your blog posts again. Love your humor!

Heidi said...

Sue, keep in mind I taught high school. I like teenagers. I don't want to live with forty of them running through my house throughout all the hours of the day.

I'm just not cheerful enough for that kind of visitation.

Amie said...

I agree with that blogger I want my house to BE the house to hang at even it means that John has to get a second job to keep food in the house!

Amy Pennington said...

great point...
you are so not antisocial and you know it!!!

AMY said...

Welcome back love. When is bab #4 due then? Please try and convince me it's worth it?

Adrienne said...

You took the words right out of my mouth!! I'm not the kind of mom who loves to have the neighborhood over. I just can't buy enough otter pops and it stresses me out too much to have all the chaos!

Marie said...

antisocial except when it comes to spending taxpayers' money to increase the "social good". --your capitalist associate, Landon.

Marie said...

.....and Marie says "Oh Heidi, you're just pregnant." We miss you!

Angie said...

Hey, I found your blog. Great stuff!

Chief said...

I am so glad I stopped by....I thought I was the only one who didn't want friends over. I just can't take someone who isn't my own, asking for drinks and needing their bums wiped.