CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 13, 2010

They Do?

Sometimes when I'm in public with my four kids, people will look at me and my herd. Generally, the two boys will be trying to slip things into the shopping cart, Veevs will be engrossed in a book (my daughter, that one) and Logan is probably fussing (because it's been like an HOUR since he's eaten and he is STARVING).

As I'm trying to move the whole herd ("Boys! Don't touch ANYTHING, okay? EVER AGAIN, you hear me?" "Veevs, watch where you're going, please. Veevs? Veevs? Veevs? LISTEN TO ME!"), invariably someone will say to me,

"Oh, enjoy this time. It goes by so fast! They grow up so quickly!"

While I politely fight down the urge to fling my cart at them and say, "Then they're all yours, sister!" I usually respond with a very weary, "They do?"

Because I feel like I've been doing this for the past twenty-seven years (technically that would mean I had my first baby at . . . oh, forget technically. I'm too tired to do the math.). Diaper, feed, nap. Diaper, feed, nap. Temper tantrum, time out, screaming. Temper tantrum, time out screaming. Directive, no response, WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN? Directive, no response, WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN? For years.

I'm sure some day it will feel like my kids grew up so quickly. Just not today. Or tomorrow. Or the next day . . .

13 comments:

jennie w. said...

I swear every day is about 100 hours long. But somehow my daughter went from being 5 to 14 in about 3 seconds. Please explain how that is possible.

Sue said...

One night I dreamed I named all my (8) kids middle names "ANSWER ME!" As in Carrie ANSWER ME!,Mandy ANSWER ME! The dream was so real - this is because I had to add ANSWER ME! every time I called/yelled/screamed for them. I yelled them up in the morning, I yelled them to school, I yelled them to dinner, I yelled them to bed. Now I look back and think Gee, we had So Much Fun! Sometimes I wonder what they remember...
Remember the old saying "Babies don't last forever, it just seems like it."

julie said...

I know just how you feel, Heidi! And I hate feeling guilty because I'm not "enjoying" this time enough.

Kim said...

They do...but not until they are going on a mission or getting married. But believe me, there will be a day when you just wish one of them would go shopping with you so it's not so boring :)

Andrea Hardman said...

I've noticed that people only tell me that when my kids are being aweful and I'm about to snap. (which would include ANY trip to ANY store) And the people who offer this wonderful little gambit often throw in, "it's the best time of your life, so enjoy it while you can." Are they trying to make me want to hurt myself?

AMY said...

ditto, love (and I don't even have four...yet.)

aubrie said...

I just barely had my first, but I had to laugh at the part about Logan fussing because he hasn't eaten for an entire hour. Every time my baby is hungry she acts like we have never fed her before and that she just might die if we don't get some food in her in the next 3.5 seconds. Good luck! Hopefully they grow up sometime (and learn how to listen too, that would be a bonus).

Celia said...

This is funny Heids because today was one of those days. Our kids were overly-tired, dirty, hungry, and well ... pretty much like they always are and when Henry did the tiniest thing to Abram at dinner, Scott lost it (which is unusual) and yelled for him to go sit on the stairs. I calmly asked (because his anger always makes me calm, for some reason), "Are you in a bad mood?" He responded with, "No, I'm just sick of kids." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

All I know is, in some ways I never want my kids to grow up ... because then they become teenagers.

Ginnie Kimball said...

love this post!

Melissa Bastow said...

I hate when people tell me that. Because a)it makes me feel like chucking something (which is a feeling that happens a lot anyway) b)makes me feel guilty for NOT enjoying every single moment of my young children and c)who's business is it of yours anyway? You think little kids are cute and wonderful? DO YOU?!! Yeah, come over and smell this poopy diaper, and then remind that kid to not lick the shopping cart, and that one to quit throwing a full on tantrum in the cereal aisle because we're not getting Marshmallow Mateys because Fruity Tooties are on sale this week, and then tell me how cute and wonderful it is.

Little kids are hard. Especially when there are a lot of them. But then again my baby turns 2 tomorrow which weirds the snot out of me, since I'm pretty sure I just had my first two seconds ago. And also that I didn't really enjoy the last 7 years of parenthood a large portion of the time.

Jordan and Lindsey Ohlson said...

Amen- Amen- Amen.

Adrienne said...

If only I could write my exact thoughts that poignantly!!
The saying "the days are long but the years are short!" resonates through my mind....but it doesn't make the mundane any easier to handle!!

Tammy said...

You really crack me up, everytime I read your posts. You are great! Love it.

p.s. I feel like my kids are growing up way too fast, but maybe it is only because I just have two, and b/c I still feel like I missed out on too much with my Natalie. I can imagine with four that it might seem like it wasn't going fast enough:)