CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Bling Factor

The other day we went to Costco as a family. As always, Veevs started lingering around the diamond display.

I immediately started my "How many legs do you think were cut off for this particular 2-carat diamond?" spiel. Veevs has heard it many times before and on an intellectual level she agrees with our anti-diamond stance.

"Oh, Mom," she sighs. "I know. It's just that they are so shiny." And then she lingered a little longer, looking at the sparkly diamonds.

I wanted to tell her it was just fancy lighting that made them look so shiny, but the way she looked at them (so longingly!) broke my will to teach her social responsibility.

I held her hand and we looked at them together for a few minutes.

"They are pretty, aren't they?" I said. She nodded. "C'mon," I said, "Let's go look at the toy aisle."

3 comments:

TheOneTrueSue said...

What a good mom. Love that you're trying to teach her about diamonds, love that you gave her a minute just to be a little girl entranced by the sparklies.

Andrea Hardman said...

Oh dear. I obviously don't even have the social responsibility to know why diamonds are socially irresponsible. I'll go look on wikipedia or something.

Claire said...

I WANT A DIAMOND!!!