CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Flibbertigibbet

I've suspected it before, but now I'm sure. I'm totally a flibbertigibbet. I've resisted this label previously out of a healthy respect for the practical, sensible heroines of Louisa May Alcott, whose books I read when I was younger until the pages fell out. I was properly shocked when Tom got engaged to that fast Trixie in An Old-Fashioned Girl. She might as well have been a whore, compared to angelic Polly. She was, well, a flibbertigibbet. She even painted, and I'm not talking about beautiful paintings. I'm talking about her face. Shocking. I rejoiced with the rest of Alcott's readership when Trix dumped Tom and he was free to realize that sweet, pragmatic Polly was his one true love. I kind of thought, "Hey, I'm more like Polly than Trixie."

Except, my true nature prevailed. I'm a flibbertigibbet. I just don't have the brain for responsibility. I volunteer at Veev's school every other Monday. I mean, I'm scheduled to volunteer. I've actually only ever done it twice. I keep forgetting.

Through my church, I have two ladies who come to visit me every month. I mean, they're scheduled to visit me. Actually, I've stood them up twice in the last three months. I keep forgetting.

I've been like this my whole life. I just can't keep things in my head. I can already hear you saying, "Trix, I mean, Heidi, seriously, you just need to write stuff down on a calendar." I already do. The problem is I forget to look at my calendar.

So whatever. I'm a flibbertigibbet. Thanks to F. Scott Fitzgerald it's not the curse it once was. I mean, who doesn't admire and love Daisy from The Great Gatsby? Hey, wait. Don't answer that.

And seriously, if you want to set an appointment with me? Let's make it at a restaurant. Some things I make a point not to forget.

7 comments:

D said...

I would love to hear your response to one of your students if they used this excuse. LOL! Not so pretty...

amelia said...

I think that's going to be my new excuse for missing appointments - "Well you didn't make it a restaurant. So..."

Heather of the EO said...

Me too.

Claire said...

i'd meet you there if you were paying...

carl b smith and marilyn said...

How to deflibbertigibbetize: get yourself a fancy cell phone with a calendar and a to do list. Add the appt. and then set the phone to remind you about 30 minutes, 1 hour or one day ahead!. That's what I have done and proud to say, the garbage has been put out everytime for 4 straight garbage days.(I am inserting my right hand on to my left shoulder blade and tapping it really firmly!) DAD

Melissa Bastow said...

I haven't read your blog in such a long time. I am now just realizing that a little piece of my soul has been slowly dying with it. Did that sound stalker-ish at all? Ok, so really I just forgot how funny you are. And souls definetly need funny.

Andrea Hardman said...

Writing appts down on the calendar doesn't always help. I can write two completely conflicting items on my calendar in the same little box, right next to each other and they just stand there nicely, not fighting at all until that morning when I realize that I'm supposed to be in two completely different places in the next 3 minutes. Sometimes it's best to just accept yourself as you are.